Friday, 31 May 2013

La Rochelle


My holiday started in the seaside town of la Rochelle. I flew into the airport and my sister drove down to meet me. We spent two days in a hotel in the middle of the town before going back to her house. La Rochelle is a beautiful, medieval town with the original harbour and many old and fascinating buildings. We were lucky; we had two days of glorious sunshine followed by the most spectacular sunset imaginable.
For any one who is interested; 
A potted history of this beautiful little town. 
 
La Rochelle was founded during the 10th century, by the 12th century it had became an important harbour and trading port. In 1130 La Rochelle became a free port, which was unusual for the time. This gave it the right to establish itself as a commune.


 Fifty years later Eleanor of Aquitaine upheld the communal charter which had been granted by her father, Guillaume X, Duke of Aquitaine, to La Rochelle establishing its rights as a commune. Because of its status as a ‘commune’, La Rochell was the first place in France to appoint its own city mayor.
Under the communal charter the city obtained many privileges; it had the right to mint its own coins and the right to operate businesses free from royal taxes, this encouraged entrepreneurs who became prosperous and the bourgeoisie classes grew and flourished.. Eleanor married Henry Plantagenet in 1152, and in 1154 he became king of England (as Henry II) and this placed La Rochelle under Plantagenet (English)  rule. The town returned to French rule when it was captured by Louis VIII in the 1224 during the Siege of La Rochelle. 

As the town grew it became a centre for maritime commerce and trade, especially with England, the Netherlands and Spain. The Knights Templar traditionally held a strong presence in La Rochelle, this  started before the time of Eleanor of Aquitaine. She exempted them from duties and even gave them mills in her 1139 Charter.  
La Rochelle was strategically important to the Templars because it was their largest base on the Atlantic Ocean and where they stationed their main fleet. This enabled them to  act as intermediaries in trade between England and the Mediterranean. The Templars played such a large part in the history of La Rochelle there are even legends linking the holy blood and the  Holy Grail to the ancient town. 
During the 12 century La Rochell was embroiled in the 100 year war and later found itself in the midst of The French Wars of Religion (1562–98).  


La Rochelles somewhat turbulent past culminated in its active participation in the slave trade. The slave trade of La Rochelle ended with the onset of the French Revolution and the war with England in the 1790s, the last La Rochelle slave ship, the Saint-Jacques was captured in 1793 in the Gulf of Guinea. In February 1794, the National Assembly (post French revolution) legislated the Universal Emancipation decree, which effectively freed all colonial slaves. The wall with the grafiti caught my eye, it was such a contrast to the rest of the town.  With such a history, streatching back so far, its no surprise that la Rochelle is so interesting and full of ancient buildings. The ancient town was never swept away in huge developments, it was never disposed of  and replaced with shiny new buildings, it was simply adapted to meet the changing needs of the modern age. 
The streets are still narrow, the buildings are still old and much of the old town still operates under the ancient arches which were originally built as flood defenses. 
These are the first photos I took in France and some of them could be better. I had not learnt about all the different settings and I think some of these were taken on the wrong setting. 
I just had to take a photo of all the delicious looking specialty pastries in the window of one shop. I also took a photo of a shop called ‘Blanc du Nil’, this shop fascinated me, it was a clothes shop but EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING, was pure white. 



There was not so much as a coloured trim any where to be seen. The clothes looked lovely, typically French, and very beautiful, but I have never seen a shop selling only white clothes before.  Our two days were topped off with a perfect sunset that
turned the water red and the sky yellow.




The last picture is of a painting, was painted in 1762 by Joseph Varnet and shows a sunset over the harbour. I was struck by how little things have changed, even the sunsets remain the same.

8 comments:

  1. gorgeous Loretta, will be back to read the history-funny I can't post my photos here-lol need to delete cookies again on my computer and see if that helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.. yeah that is weird, I can't post my photos there and you can't post yours here. I think these photos from my new camera are just too big to be posted on blogster, but here I have no problem, very weird. It was a truly beautiful place, somewhere I would want to go again.

      Delete
  2. Even the trees seem to be the same ones as in the painting! Thanks for sharing more of your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda..............thanks for stopping by, I'm still getting caught up with myself but soon I hope to post some more.. :-)

      Delete
  3. Unreal, that painting looks almost the same as it does now.
    This is so cool that you posted this town with all it's history. I am a big student of the medieval times, Knights Templar and anything english hence Elenore of Aquitaine. In England they called them market towns, with all the same privileges as a commune town. Way cool.
    The photos are beautiful and the town is just so wonderful. I am glad they have left it as it was. Great to see the towers that I am sure were of Templar making. This is just the best Blog Loretta. I am so glad you were able to stay there.
    Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow I didn't know you were into medieval history, I think its a fascinating period and I love stories about the medieval walled towns. One place I really want to go is to the town Carcassonne in the south of France. It’s supposed to be one of the best preserved medieval towns in Europe. Do you like historical novels?? If you do could I recommend
      Labyrinth Kate Mosse, you will love this book. I read it before I went to France and now I’m half way through her next novel, Sepulchre.

      Delete
  4. What a great trip in a lovely part of France, the photos are great and it is good to discover some of the history of the region. I know what you mean about driving around narrow streets in old towns in Europe. I've done a bit of that myself at one time or another, big cars are not good for that job. I've not been to that area although I have I think hurtled through it on a TGV en route to the Spanish border in the Basque Region southwest of there. The sunset shots are fabulous, I've always liked France or at least the bits of it I have been to anyway. I'd willing give 3 euros for one of those lemon tartelettes right now too, but it would be so hard to choose from all those tempting cakes...they look fantastique! archetecture, gastronomy and art, that is what I call a great holiday. It is good that you could catch up with your sister too, what a wonderful break, retirement sounds like a lot of fun Loretta :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes I had a fantastic time, the weather wasn't great but I loved being out there. I find all these little medieval villages such fantastic places, such a shame that most of our ordinary medieval history has been demolished. I know we have the great cathedrals and monasteries, but I wish we had also kept the little houses and streets as they were.

      Delete