Saturday, 15 March 2014

Judee Sill singer songwriter



JUDEE SILL

Good morning people on this fine Saturday morning, the sky is blue, the sin is shining and I'm feeling good. Off on my travels to France again soon and hoping to catch up with people here before I go.

Strange what you find on BBC 4 these days. Here’s a lady I’d almost forgotten about. What a sad story. She was the first artist to be signed by the asylum label. At 15 she was running wild with an armed robber, she became addicted to heroin and then, at reform school, learns to play the organ. Despite her talent and quite beautiful voice, success eluded her and she sank into depression. In 1979 she sadly died of a drug overdose. She neither looks nor sounds the way you would expect from a lady with that history  She's American but her voice reminds me of some of the English traditional singers. 



4 comments:

  1. A beautiful voice indeed and so sad that drug overdoses claim lots of useful lives. We can only hope that she is in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda, she never did become very popular but I think she had a lovely voice

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting these videos Loretta. I'd never heard of Judee Sill, she did indeed have a lovely voice, another victim of the lifestyle that goes with show business - as opposed to the traditional and acoustic music circuit, historically less demanding and more under the artist's control. Thanks for heads up on Judee ...I like the second song best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aaron, I only remember her very briefly but I was a watching BBC4 music programme and up she popped. I think I like 'the Kiss' best, that's a really beautiful song.

      Delete