This delightful little book was made by Rachael, otherwise known as
Shroo and I was the very, very lucky winner of this little book in her
first giveaway. I’m not one of those lucky people who win things all the time;
in fact I can’t remember ever winning anything as lovely as this. Anyway,
I’ve never had a little book like this before and it arrived just in time for
me to take to France. I wasn’t too sure what I was going to do with it because
when in France
I usually manage to find the time and space to do some painting, and it's usually the
acrylic on canvas type of painting.
I
use a semi derelict building next to my sisters house and set up a small studio
space inside. It’s a fantastic place to sit and paint and I thoroughly enjoy it.
I borrow a small radio, tune in to radio 4, soak in the atmosphere of rural France and wait
for inspiration. Anyway this time I arrived with my little book in my bag plus the pack of canvases I had previously posted. I didn’t
have a plan or project in mind, I just arrived, set up my studio space and sort
of went with the flow.
And these little drawings are the result of ‘going with
the flow’. Maybe it was Rachael’s art work on the cover
that inspired me but; what happened in this little book is completely different
to any thing I have ever done before. Above, first page started on the plane
I used pen and water colour on paper
rather than acrylic on canvas. Over the course of two weeks I learnt to
love the freedom of water colours and the satisfaction of starting and
finishing something small in one session.
Above goldfish and coypu, acrylic on canvas
I did get so excited about my
newfound style that I worked on a couple of canvases using this much freer style and incorporating the techniques I was using
in the book.
above; red pot and view from the window, day it rained all day.
My subject matter turned out to be local wildlife. That
wasn’t planned but the location is so rural and the wildlife so prolific and
varied it was an obvious choice of subject matter.
Above, goldfish pond, goldfish, dragonfly and waterlilies.
I didn’t get a lot of photos because most of the time I was out walking the dogs when I
spotted something, and I hardly ever had my camera with me.
Above, coypu, heron and brown river carp, pond up the lane.
If I saw something to stimulte the imagination, I would stand and observe for as long as possible and then go back and download some images from the net to fill in when memory failed.
Above; lizard, frog and newt from the garden.
above; magpie from the garden
Anyway….. this entire post in dedicated to Rachael because without
her, her artistic inspiration and her wonderful little journal, none of this
would have happened. This is what she said about the book and this is her site.
A simple two-signature pamphlet stitch book, using pretty pink
waxed linen thread with beaded dangles that hang below the spine so that when
the book's open it will lie nice and flat. I chose a mix of glass beads
and Tibetan silver charms that would complement the splooshy colours.
I used a piece of ribbon from my mum's sewing box, threaded through
the spine to tie-fasten. I added two yummy lampwork beads to weight the ribbon
which can be tied in a pretty bow on the spine when the book's open and being
used.
I used some designer paper to create a lining to the cover
and a spine-strengthener then collaged some vintage images - just because it
looks pretty! The paper's a fabulous heavy weight cartridge paper (300gsm)
which will take pretty much anything thrown at it, so ideal for mixed media
work. There are 12 pages - it's a nice size for a small keepsake project
Well Shroo; This has indeed turned into a valued keepsake project,
with many, many thanks to you
Hopefull I will post more of my trip to France, but for now, I just wanted to get these drawings and my thank you to Rachael posted :-)













I just love this Loretta, and am so glad you won this! Shroo will just love all your wonderful art work! Your little spot in France is just so perfect for your art work too-lots of inspiration around you for sure-hugs
ReplyDeleteHi Kathy.yes, I'm glad I won too. :-) In fact I haven't painted very much at all this year and this little book was exactly the inspiration I needed. So glad every one seems to like the new style
DeleteI love the watercolors. I think you made great use of the little book you won. You are so talented and I am so happy you share that talent with us here. Sounds like you had a nice relaxing time in France. Welcome back dear lady.
ReplyDeleteOh, I left you a message on one of your blogs. I am still blogging, just changed pages .
thanks Lia, I'll check out the link and find your new page :-)I had a great time in France, I always do. This was a short unexpected trip. I usually stay for a month but this time it was a couple of days mostly because my sisters housesitters let her down and I went over to look after dogs/ house etc :-)
DeleteAnd what a beautiful keepsake project you've created! I know your friend will be so happy she inspired you, just as we are happy to see the results of that inspiration.
ReplyDeleteI don't usually win either, but have to say I've won some beautiful soap from our friend kathyinozarks.
I also have some of Kathys soap. I actually bought some a while ago, just one bar and I wanted it because it's a small vase of flowers with some forgetmenots :-). Obviously I've not used it, I just wanted it to keep, it's really lovely. I was so suprised to win this little book because I don't usually win anything and I have to say, this was the best win I could have hoped for. I think you would like her blog, she is very creative :-)
DeleteOh Loretta, they are all fabulous. Great technique you got going there. You should definitely keep this up. Love that wee house.
ReplyDeleteoh thanks you Susan... I'm loving my new technique and its all thanks to this pretty little book and Shroo's inspiration :-) In fact I've even asked her how to make more of them. I'm considering using one of these books per project rather than doing a full scale painting on canvas. :-)
DeleteI think that is a great idea. Keep everything in one place. that is a great little book.
ReplyDelete