Wednesday, 10 July 2013

A morning in the country and some photos

I’m not an early bird by any stretch of the imagination. I could easily stay up all night and sleep all morning, but today, I arranged to met a friend and she IS  a morning person. 


Can’t believe I was actually sat on a bus by 9am this morning, maybe that’s not early for you, but it is for me, especially since being retired.  We were off to a little country tearoom called Trumperton Forge. It sells home made soup, seeded bread, carrot cake walnut cake and a selection of delicious fruit teas. Lunch was yummy today. However………..the expedition wasn’t just for the food. Trumperton also has a small enclosure outside with chickens, turkey, horses and a couple of rescued hawks. I’m not sure exactly what the birds were, I forgot to ask but they were the reason we went there. 

Our aim was to take photographs of the animals and countryside and maybe, if we managed a couple of  fairly decent shots, enter one into the Countryfile photography competition. Not sure that I’ve got any thing worth entering, the competition is pretty stiff. But theses are a couple of the best so far. I don't think I'll use these but it was good practise.

10 comments:

  1. Good morning Loretta, Sounds like a place I would enjoy visiting too. I love your big tom turkey photo-I would enter that one-the colors are super

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually I thought of both you and Deb that morning, I'm sure you would both enjoy it. I've re-read the competition rules and I'm not sure I can use these, it says no domesticated animals, no zoo animals and if it's Uk wildlife in captivity you must declare it as captive. I liked the hawk but now I think I would be marked down because its in captivity and I don't think the Turky is a native species. ...........but it was a great day out any way.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Kathy. And you know I'm always thinking about a photo making a good painting. The rooster would make a good painting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will eventually paint the rooster.....................I thought that when I photographed him.

      Delete
  3. Nice shots you should enter them, nothing ventured and all that.

    Is Trumperton the place where those bold firefighters Hugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub live Loretta? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas no...............That would be Trumpton without the 'er' in the middle. But it is equal in charm and what it lacks in firefighters it more than makes up for in animals and delicious cake :-) The full title is Trumperton Forge Tearooms; I'm assuming its the brainchild of an enterprising farmers wife who felt the need to diversify. Its very rural but the bus stops at the end of the lane if you ask the driver and it is set in the middle of farmland. It is child friendly with a small wooden built play area, a small animal enclosure and a little gift section selling local craft work. They even have a local artist selling her work there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photographs really bring out the plumage and the skin color of the birds, Loretta. The one of the rooster really stands out for me. Whichever ones you enter, they are worth noting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug, I printed my final choices today and......................I actually didn't choose any of these, I chose two of the beach and two of flowers. I'll post them here soon. It was a very hard chloice in the end.

      Delete
  6. These are just gorgeous shots Loretta ! I love the close-ups especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I actually printed off the final choices for the competition today, and in the end I didn't choses any of these. it was difficult to pick the right ones in the end.

      Delete