Wednesday, 10 July 2013

An afternoon at the harbour part 2 of 4



The second lot of photos………….this time it’s the new mast getting lowered onto the yatch. 

 

In case you didn’t read the first one…………..
AND……….. as if that wasn’t enough excitement for one day, as soon as the first yatch was safely berthed in the inner harbour, another yatch glided up to take its place and the giant Crain proceeded to lower a new mast over the boatyard wall onto the yatch waiting below. 
This was quite exciting, just as the Crain was manovering the mast into place, there was a sudden gust of wind and the mast swayed around over the heads of the workmen. 



There were men on the yatch guiding the mast into place until it slotted neatly in, the men then had to secure it  (I was too far away to see how this was done) before the Crain relinquished its hold. And then the second yatch also glided through the harbour gates tom its berth in the inner harbour. 
 
 





2 comments:

  1. never knew the boats were put together like this-figured it was all together before entering the water

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was a replacement mast. Not sure, but I assumed thats what it was. I think generally speaking they would be complete before being launched. I think this was maybe an easier way of fitting a new mast than putting the boat into dry dock and fitting it from the boat yard.

    ReplyDelete