Yes I’m serious, please, name this fish, and I don’t mean Harry, George or Eric, I mean Trout, Carp or Perch. Its not a trick question, I really don't know what it is.
The lake, well actually I, think its more of a pond but the villagers call it a lake so I guess that’s what it is, is quiet and very still, it’s in a sheltered position and nothing much disturbs the water. But after a couple of days of going there and watching, I noticed there was quite a big fish living in the shallow water on the opposite edge of the lake.
Anyway……….point is, I have no idea what he is, and until I came home and had the chance to put the pictures on the computer and zoom in, I didn’t really know what he looked like. Considering the distance involved and the fact that he kept diving, the pictures are not that bad.
SO………….any one know what he is?? At a guess I would say he is between 12 and 18 inches long, but of course he was on the other side of the lake and my eyesight is not good, so he may have been a bigger or even smaller.
I am no fish expert Loretta, but my money is on it being a common carp as opposed to a koi carp for example....they are very good shots of this sunbathing fish. If it is a carp they can grow to a monstrous size...this one looks big but not gigantic.....what fun, fish spotting in France I can see the attraction of that.
ReplyDeleteThanks Aaron.................after looking at these photos I did begin to think maybe it's a carp because the patten of scales on his back is very similar to the giant goldfish in my sisters garden pond. I still have no idea if 'sunbathing' is normal fish behaviour and I never knew fish were teritorial either, but this one seems to be. I began to really enjoy going to the lake and watching for the fish and yes.............fish spotting was fun, I feel I learnt something that I didn't know before.
Deletewhat a pretty fish-I will ask my guys here if they know what he is
ReplyDeletesorry, hun - not a clue! but it sure is a pretty fish! ;)
ReplyDeleteyep, he was a good looking fish, I spent many a happy hour indulging in my new hobby of 'fish watching'
DeleteI have no idea ,Loretta, so I'll go with carp as well. But it is a charming aquatic place and I don't blame that fish for being territorial about the pond. :-)
ReplyDeleteIt was beautiful, in fact for the first time I appreciated why people go fishing. But I would rather capture him with my camera than any thing else.
DeleteI was going to say carp also but I see AA and others have beat me to it. So yes, Carp it is hahaha :-)
ReplyDeleteThsnks , yep think its generally agreed... its carp :-)
Delete