Monday, 26 August 2013

Walking Daisy Dog in the mist.


Meet Daisy, she is my daughters bearded collie.
My daughter is in Italy and Daisy is with me for ten days. We walk together every morning and this was todays walk.
In the year 2000 our local council planted several small areas of native woodland in every town, they are known collectively as the Millennium Forests. 
That was 13 years ago, now look how they’ve grown. They started life a variety of indigenous trees and shrubs all about 18 inches tall. 

At the time people complained about the waste of money etc, etc………..some people are never happy, I thought it was a wonderful way to celebrate the millennium and now that they’ve grown, I’m even more appreciative of them. This ‘millennium forest’ was planted in a public park overlooking the sea; I love it here, even without the dog for company I love walking here. Today we have the sea mist rolling in. We woke up to it yesterday morning and it’s not lifted since,  it gets quite eerie sometimes, especially when the fog horns from the boats start sounding, they can be heard all over town. 
I couldn’t see the sea today, the mist was too thick. But I could hear it, and beneath that mist I think the sea was quite rough, I could hear the waves crashing and the sea birds squawking. 



With all that thick sea mist and the sounds of crashing waves, sea birds and eerie fog horns it was a bit like being on the set of some costume mystery movie. A bit like Tess of the d’Urbervilles revisited. 
This blog is a bit of a milestone, its the first one that is only posted here, no more reposting from here to to blogster and no more reposting from there to here, it feels quite liberating really. At last, here I am with only one blog home  :-)
And this is a painting of Daisy that I did for my daughter a while ago.

19 comments:

  1. WOW, what a gorgeous pooch and a fabulous place to go for a walk! the energies there must be really amazing! i love the portrait you painted of Daisy - she's a sweetheart. ♥ great pics and blog, thank you, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb...............yep she's a great pooch, love having her. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh I just love that doggies. So cute, I just want to eat his face.
    boy I wish I lived by you, what beautiful land. Great photos.
    Just read what you said on Debs page about if Nemo was just here. Well that's about right. Kathy was the only reason I ever stayed there, well and Nemo never posted on Facebook. Now if I could just sort out following etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are indeed very, very fortunate to live in such a place as this. And yes I love daisy Dog too........I always have her when my daughter goes away, its a good compromise for me because much as I like dogs, and I've always had one, my decision is not to get another because I don't want to be tied down now I'm retired.

      Delete
    2. oh...............following, its on the right hand side of the blog, just click 'join this site' and then click follow by email. That ensures you get email notification every time something is posted. AND..........if any one wants to make my life easier, please add the 'follow by email' to their site. thanks :-)

      Delete
  3. thank you for taking us along on your walk Lortta, what a beautiful place, and I love Daisy-she looks so happy-I bet you will miss her when she goes back home. You do portraits so well-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy..............yes I will miss her, but like I said, I made the decision not to get another dog because I really value my freedom and the ability to go away if I want too. But if I did ever get tempted..........think I'd like one like daisy dog :-)

      Delete
  4. A beautiful dog and a wonderful painting, Loretta.

    Being fond of mists and trees and gently-sloping morning (or evening) walks with a faithful canine companion or two I have to say it looks like a wonderful tree-lined place for solitude and time spent with natural sounds (and a foghorn or two). Was there ever a more evocative sound than a distant fog horn and the waves breaking off against a near-by shore? I appreciate all the pictures and thanks for sharing such a lovely environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I agree, much as I'm a sun lover there is something quite special about the trees shrouded in mist and the distand sounds of the sea :-)

      Delete
  5. I forgot to mention my wife and I just saw "Tess of the D'ubervilles" (from the most BBC version) again this weekend. Indeed many of your photos remind me a lot of the long forested glades and foggy fields and farmlands of Hardy's Wessex Country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOl...............its reassuring to know I wasn't imagining things, it really did feel like a scene from 'Tess' this morning :-)

      Delete
  6. I love both the portrait of Daisy and the route that you take for your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda that walk was quite special, thd sea mist made it very mysterious that day. Glad you like the portrait my daughter has it on her wall now. :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh ! These are absolutely magical pictures. What a beautiful country you live in. Thanks for all the comments you left recently. I am back and hope to be more active on my blog and I will try to catch up with everyone this week. I will look into adding a "follow by email" button.

    Have a beautiful week Loretta :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lia and thanks for stopping by, I've recently done a bit of catching up myself, I've been away quite a lot this summer but now I think I'm stsying put for a little while. Glad you like the photos it was a very pretty morning that day. And thanks for the 'follow by email' thingy that makes life so much easier.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely walk. I think the money spent on the trees was money well spent. Daisy dog is gorgeous and I love your portrait of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I tend to agree, I've always thought the money was eell spent on trees

      Delete
  9. The mist does give the scene a magical enchanted feel to me too. I always used to expect to come across the 'little people' or some sort of luminous being when I walked in misty woods like this, but unfortunately they never appeared to me (which in some ways might be a blessing I suppose) but anyway..... The pictures are very atmospheric, the trees are indeed fabulous and worth whatever they cost many times over I think.

    Daisy is also a very cute little dog which you have caught perfectly in your portrait of her. You live in a beautiful area Loretta, copses in the sea mist has a sort of timeless joy about it somehow, you could see how people have been thinking that for a lot more than two millennia can't you.....brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yep that was a particularly good walk thanks , very atmospheric. While I'm walking I recognize the timelessness of many scenes and its that sense of past meeting present, walking in the ancestors footprints, that makes it all so special for me. Its where I find my balance. :-)

      Delete