As I said last time, I’m not here very often; life seems to be busy, busy, busy these days. However; my friend Kathy contacted me last week and asked
me to write a blog about my painting for something called ‘Around the World
Blog’. This is what she wrote,
Hi Loretta,
Here is a copy of the information I received from Tammy
Here is a copy of the information I received from Tammy
Her post is rather long, mine won't be, and yours doesn't have to be either. Just follow these four basic Questions.
What am I working on?
How does my work differ from others?
Why do I write/create what I do?
How does my writing/creative process work?
How does my work differ from others?
Why do I write/create what I do?
How does my writing/creative process work?
That's it, quite simple really, once complete just tag three more
creative people and ask them to to do their own Around the World Blog.
My post is the 20th. Yours is the 27th and whoever you tag would post on or around November 4th
Kathy
My post is the 20th. Yours is the 27th and whoever you tag would post on or around November 4th
Kathy
This is Kathys blog
and this is Tammys blog, the person who nominated Kathy
http://gone2thebeach.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/around-world-blog-hop.html
As there doesn’t seem to be any sort of central place to leave
links for the ‘Around the world’ blogs; here are a few more I found by doing a
simple google search. Most of the ones I found are about different types of
fabric arts/ crafts but I’m sure there are others I didn’t find that are about
art/ painting etc.
http://nanacompany.typepad.com/nanacompany/2014/08/snippets-of-life-around-the-world-blog-hop.html
http://badskirt.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/around-world-blog-hop.html
Question; What am I working on?
I’m working on Painting, no particular painting
at the moment because it’s nearing the end of the year and 2014 was the year I
decided to dedicate to painting and exhibiting. I guess
the answer could be ‘I’m working on painting full time and exhibiting my work
for one whole year’. Of course my painting didn’t start at the beginning of
this year, I’ve always painted. I painted when I was at school, I painted when
I left school, I went to Art
College and painted.
After Art College painting almost gave me up, life got in the way, I did all
the stuff other people do, had a career, married, had children got the mortgage
and became far too bogged down with bringing up the kids and paying the bills
to think much about painting. There
wasn’t space or time in my mind or my life to be very creative for a few years.
That changed about ten years ago when I realized the kids had grown, the bills
were paid, the career was replaced with less demanding part time work and
retirement was just around the corner. Hmmmmm what to do in retirement, how to
prepare for retirement?? I know, I’ll go back to class, brush up on my painting
and take it up again as a hobby. So I took classes, lots of classes, I retired
from work last year, gave myself a few months to chill out and enjoy being
retired and then decided, I’m going to paint full time for a whole year. And
that’s what I’m working on now, completing my full time painting year.
Question; How does my work differ from others?
I don’t know how to answer this, In many ways
my work doesn’t differ very much from the work from other local artists. I
paint mostly in acrylic on canvas and my subject matter is a mixture; I do
portraits, figurative work, landscapes, seascapes and more recently, I’ve
attempted a couple of abstracts. I think my work is recognizable because it’s
bold (nothing subtle here), usually bright and quite dramatic. I think I’m
probably best at portraits but I do enjoy the other work.
Question; Why do I write/create what I do?
I think I’ve already answered that in question
one but the short answer is; ‘because it’s what I do’. You may as well ask why
do cows chew grass or why do birds sing, the answer is simply because that’s
what they do. Ditto, I paint because it’s what I do.
That’s a tricky one, sometimes it doesn’t
work. Sometimes I can’t paint, or even want to paint for weeks at a time, which
is difficult when you have set yourself the task of painting full time for a
whole year. Mostly it works in the same
way as any other job, you plan, set
deadlines, make notes about projects, decide what you are doing and then
allocate time in which to work. Specifically; I take photos, edit, crop then
print the photos and work from them. The photos can be people or places; my
grandchildren have been some of my favourite subjects this year and usually I
use more than one photo per painting.
This year the actual planning has revolved
around different exhibitions and art societies. My year as a full time painter
started about this time last year with something called the Meffin Winter
Exhibition. Which is a ( winter) exhibition held in a local museum where
professional and amateur artists from all over Scotland are invited to submit
their work. It’s a big exhibition and, because of the number of entries and
limited space, it’s quite hard to get work accepted and hung. About this time
last year I submitted two paintings to the
Meffin, both of which were rejected but that was the start of my year. Now the whole thing has come full circle and
I’m about to submit my two paintings for this year. Once submission for the
Meffin is over, my painting year is finished.
My year as a painter
These are the two paintings I submitted to the
Meffin last year, Nov 2013; they are called 'Leo Cortana actor from Marseille' and 'Red Balloons and Umbrellas'. Neither of them were accepted but maybe I'll have better luck with this years entries.
At the start of 2014 a local framing studio
offered to display my work in their window. It was great seeing my work on
display in the high street. Nothing sold but there was quite a bit of interest
and lots of people saw them, The feedback I received was all good.
In April I submitted fabric bunting for an
exhibition in Carnoustie library to celebrate the 800th anniversary
of West Haven, a
tiny fishing hamlet on the west shore Carnoustie.
In July it was my turn to do the window
display for the Carnoustie Art society. I chose lavender as my theme.
The first two weeks of September was the Arbroath Arts Society exhibition held in Arbroath Library.These are the paintings exhibited in Arbroath.
I am now about to send these paintings off to
the Carnoustie Art Society exhibition held over the first two weeks of November
in the Carnoustie library.
And finally, these two paintings need a little
more work before being submitted to the Meffin for inclusion in the 2014 Meffin Winter Exhibition.These are called 'Little Boats', and 'Waiting for the Boats'.
And that will conclude my year as a full time painter. Not that I’m giving up painting of course but next year I hope to spend less time painting and more time traveling.
Yep…………I hope 2015 will be my year of travel
All of my paintings can be seen on my Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loretta-Dean-Paintings-Portraits-and-Pastels/237665886357880
All of my paintings can be seen on my Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loretta-Dean-Paintings-Portraits-and-Pastels/237665886357880




















beautiful post Loretta-thank you-my post is up now too
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathy, it was actually quite therapeutic to list every thing I've done this year so thanks for the invite. I can't decide who if any one to ask to do this, still thinking about that. :-)
ReplyDeleteYou have described perfectly what an artist is whatever one's speciality is. I love all your work, of course.
ReplyDeleteI love the beach paintings most of all. You certainly have had a productive year. Good luck with the exhibition and thanks for posting. (P.S. You put the link to Lizzie's blog, Gone to the Beach, rather than my blog link, http://tsdailytreasures.blogspot.com/2014/10/around-world-blog-hop.html) :)
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, Tammy