above; view as we left the Montrose wildlife centre
Saturday 25 April 2015
I’m back home after house/ garden/ dog/ teenager
sitting for the week. My daughter is studying environmental science at
University and she needed to go away for the week on a field trip. Not sure
exactly what she was doing, but the photos are wonderful, she spent the week at
Aviemore counting rocks or measuring the ‘roundness’ of boulders or some such
thing.
above; Montrose Wildlife Centre main building.
Her partner was away and so….. Granny ( that’s me) to the rescue. It’s a
while since I lived with a 14 year old. The days went by something like this;
Me, ‘Good morning dear, everything OK?’
Her, ‘Yeah, fine’.
She then fed the dogs and ate her breakfast in
silence.
Me, ‘Bye then, have a nice day hun’
Her, ‘yeah ok’
Me, ‘Hi Hun, how was school today?’
Her, ‘OK’
Me, ‘what did you do today hun?’
Her, ‘nothing’
Her, ‘what’s for tea today Granny?’
Me…. Told her what I planned and asked if that’s ok
Her, ‘Yeah, fine’.
Her, ‘going to my room now’
Me, ‘OK hun, see you later’
5.50 she reappears
Her, ‘Tea ready yet?’
Me ‘almost ready just getting it out of the oven’.
Her, feeds the dogs in silence and hovers until her
tea is served.
Me, ‘here’s your tea, hope you enjoy it’
Her, ‘yeah, going to my room now’
Me, ‘OK then see you later’
After that she made another appearance and either
walked the dog or took it into the garden to play for a while ( second dog was
post surgery and not to be walked or excited). Then back to her room, then a
final appearance about 9.30pm to look for something to eat before bed, and then
nothing until the following morning when we start all over again. At the end of
the week, I could say in all honesty, yes, she was absolutely fine, no bother
at all, hardly knew she was there. Such is life with a typical 14 year old I
guess.
above; some of what you are 'supposed' to see at the wildlife Centre
It’s been a bit like a mini holiday, I filled my day
with pottering in the garden, talking to the dogs, attempting to play on the
laptop, (although that didn’t work out very well, I gave up in the end and
decided to wait until I could be back here in front of my own computer) and
catching up on some reading. I’ve been reading Russell Brands book ‘Revolution’
and to my utter surprise, I’m quite enjoying it.
Goldfinch
Once you get past his weird,
disjointed way with words, there are little gems of pure truth and astounding
insights into well, everything really, all buried deep within his verbal
diarrhoea. I found it on my daughters bookshelf and started reading, I’m glad I
did now.
Chaffinch
Anyway, I’m back home now and its catch up time on the
computer, my first task will be post here about the Montrose Wildlife Centre;
which is something I wanted to do while I was away but ended up giving up with
daughters laptop, then on to catch up with every one else here, then over the
flickr to edit and save more of my huge backlog of photos, and that’s more or
less, my plan for today
outside the wildlife centre
Montrose wildlife Centre
This was supposed to be another photo opportunity for
my photographer friend and myself. Off we went on a lovely sunny morning a
couple of days before I was needed for house sitting. We were hoping to capture
lots of interesting wildlife on our cameras. It didn’t quite work out as we
planned, for a start, it may have been bright and sunny but it was also windy
and freezing cold which was a bit of a disappointment because we had packed a tasty
picnic lunch. Hardy souls that we are, we sat outside, enjoying the sunshine,
trying to ignore the biting cold and ate our lunch, I was so glad I decided to
take my flask with hot coffee and not a bottle of water. The second
disappointment of the day was the noise; there were people doing routine
maintenance at the Wildlife Centre. They were banging, sawing, hammering,
shouting to one another and stomping around. Obviously any wild life that may
have been about that day was scared off. Undeterred we tried to make the most of it;
we found ourselves a good viewing position from inside the centre and waited;
hopefully, for something of interest to appear. We resigned ourselves to having
to photograph through glass, which isn’t ideal but we didn’t want it to be a
totally wasted day. On to the third disappointment of the day, well it was more
of an irritant than a disappointment really. I think I must have been
particularly grumpy that morning, because there was a young member of staff who
(through no fault of his own) began to seriously grate on my consciousness, he irritated
the life out of us. He was very young and very enthusiastic. He wanted to
constantly engage us in conversation, he wanted to point out all and every single
detail of the centre, the tiniest footnote could not be overlooked, he was
driven to educate us on the history of the place and explain to us, at length,
about every species of wild life EVER seen there. In general, he just wanted to
talk, and talk, and talk. My friend was born and brought up in Montrose, and as
she said to me afterwards, she has probably forgotten more about the area, its
wild life, its history, and the history of the centre than he will ever learn. I
think the final straw for us was when he focused the telescope way out on a
sandbank to show us some seals sunbathing there. He was so proud that the seals
were there and desperately wanted us to share his enthusiasm. The bit he didn’t
understand was that yes, seals are great, but we have seen them many times before,
we live around here, and unless we are in a position to photograph them (which
we were defiantly not) they were not of that much interest. We were both doing
a good impression of grumpy old women that day.
In the end we left the centre (and Mr Enthusiastic)
and made our way down to the hide, the solitude down there was lovely. Still
not a lot of wildlife to be seen but the views were spectacular, the little
windows opened up to allow us to take photos without looking through glass
which was great. There was no heating in that tiny hide but because it was well
crafted from solid wood it was out of the wind, draught free and warmed by the
sunshine. It was like another world. It was also a Mr Enthusiastic free zone.
It’s from here that we took most of our photos. I
looked up just in time to see a heron landing on the shore, it was quite a
distance away and I didn’t have time to focus properly but it was nice to
see.
We saw a variety of song birds that
stayed long enough to get some photos of. We saw Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Great Tit
and Pied wag tail.
We also saw one solitary yatch sailing by, it looked as if
it was a beautiful sunny day, blue sky and blue sea, but I bet it was cold way
out to sea in that little single sail yatch.
I also watched a mosquito fly into a spider web and
become hopelessly snared. The web was so fine I didn’t even notice it until I
saw the mosquito land. My first thought was, shut the window because I didn’t
want Mosquitoes in the hide with me.
Then I realised that poor little mossie
wasn’t going to bother anyone any more. He wriggled and turned trying to get
free, but it was hopeless, from the nano-second the tip of his little leg
touched the web his fate was sealed. Funny how you can think lots of different
things about the same subject all at the same time. I felt immensely relieved that
he couldn’t get into the hide and feed off me; I tend to come up in gold ball
sized lumps if bitten or stung by flying pests, I also felt a bit sorry for
him, it’s a most unpleasant demise, then I felt a bit happy that an unknown,
unseen, spider would get a meal that night and then, I stopped the random
thoughts and started to closely observe him. He has delicate lace wings with
long legs, his legs have little barbs on them and at the bottom of his body is
what looks like a large sharp stinger. At that point I realised he probably
wasn’t a mosquito at all but another, unidentified flying beastie that could
render harm to me if freed. Anyway, what ever he was, he ended up as a meal for
the unseen spider and a nice subject to practice my macro photography on.
As we left the hide we thought maybe the temperature
had risen a little, the sky was so blue and the sound of birdsong was every
where, it really looked lie a mid summer day, it was just the cold that
reminded us we were still in early April.
The flowers were another reminder,
nothing quite so cheery as a good display of spring flowers.
The last thing I remember seeing that day was the old
gnarled tree who laughed at us on the way back from the hide. He threw his arms
in the air and gave a rumbling belly laugh as I passed him. I looked back to make sure I had seen him
properly and there he was, still laughing. He looked as if he was standing, mouth open, throwing his arms toward the sky
and laughing at us as we alternated between admiring the scenery and shivering
in the cold air.
what a perfectly lovely and marvelous read - and fab photos to go with. thank you, my friend.
ReplyDeleteThanks Deb :-)
Deletei think you could write a book from your posts, Loretta. They are very entertaining, and the story about the young man at the centre may have been irritating for you but made me laugh. I was half expecting you to say he followed you outside.
ReplyDeleteOh believe me we expected him to follow, such was his enthusiasm. Thankfully he didn't, I think his place of employment was within the boundaries of the actual building which was great for us. And thank you, I've often think I will write a book sometime , but I don't think my writing is good enough, sometimes when I write I struggle in the vocabulary department and sometimes it just doesn't 'flow' the way it should. But nice of you to say so, thanks :-)
DeleteI'm glad I'm not the only one with vocabulary problems! I often know the word in Spanish but not in English.
DeleteI agree great read and loved the beautiful photos-I find that sad that kids do not want to engage any more
ReplyDeleteI know, I found it a bit odd too, but my girls all assure me it's perfectly normal for teenagers these days. I'm sure in another couple of years she will grow into a perfectly nice and 'normal' young woman. But yes, teenagers are a very strange breed :-)
DeleteI agree
DeleteA highly enjoyable post! Love your 'life with a teenager' dialogue....ha ha - yep, sounds about right! Your photos are lovely and make your trip to the wildlife centre look wonderful. NEXT time, take along some gaffer tape for Mr Enthusuastic - it's hard to talk through gaffer tape!! Loving the birdies :) Thanks for sharing your trip! Hugs from Shroo:)xx
ReplyDeletethanks, yeah..............tape sounds like a must next time we are there. :-)
DeleteAbsolutely loved the pictures !! I have a 14 year old granddaughter. When she was here last summer, she slept most of the day away and spent the rest of it texting her friends . I miss her being a little girl who used to talk my ear off !
ReplyDeleteHi Lia, glad you like the photos :-) ohhhhh yes .... 14 year olds are a different breed these days :-) I used to do lovely blogs about our adventures together. She used to stay with me while mum and dad went away on holiday, we went to the beach and all sorts. Those days are long gone now.
DeleteLovely post and great pictures. You have a great way of drawing people in so we can really picture the scene. As for the teenager, hopefully she'll grow out of it. We always ate together and thankfully my three have grown into nice adults. Although there are still times when they're all together that I want to ban their phones from the table.
ReplyDeleteThanks Wendy, 'drawing people in' , thats a lovely thing to say, thanks :-) cas for the 14 year old.......well things change I guess :-)
Delete