Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Easter Weekend 2015



Above; the Scott, Wilson Sculpture by Bruce Walker ( internet photo)
Easter Weekend 2015



Before you start I have to warn you, this could be a bit of a lengthy read, I’ve had a ball and I’m about to share, but it could take a while

I hope every one who reads this has enjoyed their Easter as much as I have. I was beginning to feel a bit like a prisoner in my own home. The winter and the cold weather dragged on and on and on, I began to feel like a recluse. At times the winter felt endless and the summer a distant hope. Anyway….. that changed this weekend, my days of pacing the floor are over, well at least  until next winter.

Above; Photo by Ken Hay
I don’t expect many people would have found my Good Friday activity exciting but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I went to a local museum to an exhibition of ‘Kenneth Hay’ photos. I’ve been to ken Hay days at the museum before and so far I’ve not come away disappointed.

He was a (not particularly well known) local photographer who worked for the local newspaper and also had his own studio. His photos range from wedding and formal portraits to local scenes and local celebrations. They are mostly black and white and date from the late 40’s and 50’s through to the 80’s. When he passed away all of his photos and negatives were bequested to the local museum where, under the careful supervision of a dedicated group of volunteers, they are slowly being sorted and catalogued. Initially, when these fascinating photos arrived at the museum no one had any idea of the vast quantities involved, there are quite literally thousands and thousands of images and negatives.  
 Above photo by Ken Hay
I find them a wonderful resource. I take my sketch book and draw from them. There are ladies in 40’s style wedding dresses, young teenagers off to a 50’s dance in patterned swing skirts and petticoats and little children innocently playing on a beach with buckets and spade. I’ve bought a couple of these images for future use. They get emailed to me; which means I can print them out, crop them or other wise edit them to suit my needs.
Above photo by Ken Hay
They are covered by copyright which means I’m not allowed to reproduce them but I’ve been assured using them as a drawing resource doesn’t break copyright.  Anyway, I’m going to put a couple of them here just to let you see, so long as they are credited to him I guess that will be ok. Yep…….. Friday was a good day.








On Easter Saturday the intention was to visit another small local museum for what was advertised as a ‘Tartan Craft’ day. It took two buses and 1 ½ hour to get there but it was a pleasant journey through countryside with lots to see. We passed horses, cattle, sheep, chickens and lots of ploughed fields. 
When we arrived we found that the ‘tartan Craft’ day had been wrongly advertised and it was in fact a children’s activity. But, my friend and I are fairly optimistic people and it was a case of one door closing and another one opening. We took a stroll around the village, photographed some of the lovely old buildings and then wandered into the studio of an artist called Bruce Walker. 
He’s a fantastic man, he told us all about his history; how he trained to be a stonemason in Aberdeenshire and then took up glass engraving. This is what he says about himself on his own website; 



Bruce Walker was born in Aberdeenshire in 1946.
He served a 4 year apprenticeship as a monumental sculptor with William McKay & Sons in Aberdeen. As part of his training he attended Aberdeen Technical College where he studied  stone carving. He was an evening student at Gray's School of Art in Aberdeen where he studied life drawing, lettering and stone carving. In 1975 he set up own business hand engraving quality glassware and stone carving. The classical training as a sculptor in granite has enabled him to carve virtually any thing out of any stone. During his working life he has successfully worked with granite, sandstone, marble, limestone and soapstone.
At the moment Bruce combines his stone carving with his very successful glass engraving business in Kirriemuir.’’

The photo below is of his monument commemorating Scott and his expedition to the Antarctic. This is one of the biggest and best of his stone works.




’The Scott Wilson sculpture was commissioned to replace an existing monument to Captain Scott and Doctor Wilson of the Antarctic in the centennial year of 2012.
It is situated in Glen Prosen, Angus’’



He is a fantastic man and took great pride in telling us about his life, his work and his art. He also allowed us to take photos of him engraving the glass.






 And then it was Sunday………….and we were caught out by the heat. I didn’t expect it to be cold, but Sunday was unbelievably warm, so warm it caught me off guard and a bit over dressed. It was a truly beautiful day but because it was so unexpected, I spent much of the day seeking shade and melting in my dark and weather inappropriate clothing. Still, really shouldn’t complain about the sun, it was a totally glorious day.

We visited the Caledonian Railway. The Caledonian Railway is a four mile standard gauge railway running from the Victorian terminus station at Brechin through the Angus countryside to what was once a mainline station at Bridge of Dun. The regular passenger services stopped in 1952 and the goods service stopped in 1981. 
Since then this small piece of line together with some of the older steam and diesel engines and rolling stock has been cared for by the Brechin Railway Preservation Society. Easter Sunday was an open day and we took the steam train on the return journey along that short pieced of track. 
The truly weird thing was the way the passage of time disappeared   as soon as I boarded. I sat there in a carriage identical to the ones of my childhood, listened to the slow chugging of the steam engine and watched the stream of black smoky steam float past the window. 
I even opened the window, leaned out and took some photos of the engine in action. It was all rather exciting. The station was decked out in bunting, there were old enamel adverts every where and all the staff ( who were actually volunteers) looked super smart in their old fashioned uniforms.







Then a  special visit to Arbroath Abbey for Easter Monday.  A brief but important history note here, Arbroath Abbey was the site of the historic signing of the Declaration of Arbroath in 1320. 
The Declaration of Arbroath is a declaration of Scottish independence, made in 1320. It is in the form of a letter in Latin submitted to Pope John XXII, dated 6 April 1320, intended to confirm Scotland's status as an independent, sovereign state and defending Scotland's right to use military action when unjustly attacked.




It was written at Arbroath Abbey by Bernard of Kilwinning, then Chancellor of Scotland and Abbot of Arbroath and sealed by fifty-one magnates and nobles.  The original copy of the Declaration that was sent to Avignon is lost. A copy of the Declaration survives among Scotland's state papers, held by the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh. The most widely quoted passage is;

 ‘’ .for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.’’

i'm sure you can see why this particular piece of history is still so valid today. The signing of the declaration has been reenacted within the ruins of the Abbey since 1947, not always annually, or even bi-annually but they did it on Monday, and happily I was there to witness it.









As a prelude to the re-enactment a band called The Trybe played. I’ve seen them before at a couple of local events. They are ‘different’ but highly entertaining and evocative. This time the piper brought his daughter, her name is Iona, it was her thirteenth birthday and she played the clĂ rsach ( Scottish harp) just beautifully. Couldn’t believe she was only 13.




This is their facebook page where someone has very kindly posted a video of them playing outside the Abbey on Monday. I like the way they had the Catalonian flag and the Venetian Flag both displayed alongside the Saltier as a sign of support for their independence movement.





So….. I did warn you this would be a long read, and it has been, but I make no apologies, I’ve had the most amazing Easter weekend, and I needed to share. And now, I have to get ready for tomorrow, I'm off on a bus trip to Oban tomorrow and I have to get organised for that. :-) 

6 comments:

  1. Good morning Loretta, I enjoyed reading every word-you had an awesome long weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, thanks, yeah it was great. I really feel as if the winter is over now and it a GREAT feeling. Was off out again today and hoped to blog about it tonight but its far too late now so will have to do it tomorrow. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful Easter weekend! Thank you so much for sharing these highlights with us :)

    Those old photos are a real gem. There's something so special about old photos - they transport us and inspire us. I KNOW that any art you create using them as inspiration will be magnificent. A wonderful post - hugs from Shroo:)xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachael, I've actually used a couple of his images in my first attempt at an image transfer piece. I think its finished but I'm not sure so I'm holding back showing it till I'm 100% its actually properly 'finished' :-).

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you're back, Loretta. I missed all your wonderful photos. I'm a lover of old black and white photos especially and would have enjoyed that exposition. Some of the photos remind me of your art work. We have a similar train here called the Strawberry Train though I've never taken it, and imagine tickets for it will have already been sold out for the season. The hostesses on it dress up in clothes of the period and come round offering passengers strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda, I think thats why I love his photos so much, I recognise what he seems to be saying. I find his work quite inspirational. Today I recived the latest one of his that I ordered. its quite a simple snapshot showing three ladies standing together, posing for the photo. They have 40's style hair dresses and shoes and the best bit.... the dresses have these fantastic vintage looking prints all over them. Sadly the photo was quite badly scratched before being scanned and all the damage shows on the copy i have. but I'm sure I'll be able to use it.In fact this image quite excites and inspires me. If ther ewas a way to include that image here I would :-)

      Delete