Monday, 17 December 2012

At last I have my house back.

At last, I have my house back to my self. Its not that I don’t love my family dearly, it’s just that I’m used to my own space. I ended up having my youngest daughter and her son and her dog all with me, in my small apartment, for more than two weeks. Actually, I really enjoyed having her here but it’s also quite nice to be able to come home from work, just flop out in front of the TV for a while, and relax after work without thinking about any one else. 

And to be honest, I’m pretty sure my daughter is just as thankful to be in her own home.
 

My poor daughter was so busy; she couldn’t get her son into school because she didn’t have proof of address to register him until her new lease was signed, she needed emergency dental treatment and she wasn’t registered with a dentist in this area, when she did sign her lease (a week before she eventually moved) she registered her son at school and they needed to know the name and address of his Doctor, and of course he wasn’t registered with a doctor in this area. She tried several times to switch her accounts for electricity and gas from her old address to her new address, but even that was complicated because the two properties were not serviced by the same supplier. 

Her lovely docile dog daisy was attacked by a mean dog in the local park and she wasn’t registered with a local vet, and the excess on the pet insurance turned out to be quite high. Luckily Daisy dog recovered and didn’t need vet treatment, whew.She ended up paying to keep her furniture in storage for an extra week because on the day she signed her lease and was supposed to move, every one was working and there was no one to help her. 
However………I spoke to her earlier this evening and she is now a happy bunny, settled into her new house, she is registered with every one she needs to be registered with, she has TV, phone and internet connected and her heating is working just fine. She has finally managed to change the gas and electricity supplier to the one she used before and the account is sorted. 

Like I said……….she’s now a happy, happy bunny.
She moved out over the weekend, but no peace for me, I ended up having my other daughters two children AND Daisy dog for the whole weekend.  They all finally left me in peace yesterday just in time for me to get ready for work again this morning.


Not only do I have my house back, I also have my computer back, my little grandson spent lots and lots of time on the computer downloading kiddie games and playing them. It certainly kept him amused for the week before he went to school, and during the evenings once he started school. 



I couldn’t help thinking how different life is for children these days, I don’t know how they would cope if they had to live the way we did with out all this technology to amuse them. But in this instance, it was useful, all his toys were in storage and he doesn’t have friends here to play with so it was nice that he found a way to occupy himself.
Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been dog walking, child minding, cooking family dinners, tree decorating, card writing, and generally keeping busy but the one thing I did make time for was photo taking.  I’ve said before; I love the light at this time of year; I love the colours of the late afternoon sun, the long shadows and the early setting sun. The light is equally good inside and out. It lights up my living room in a way that’s specific to this time of year. The spectacle of the sun setting over the sea is also quite special. These are just a few of the photos I’ve been taking over the last few weeks and the nearer it gets to the solstice the lower the sun sinks, the longer the shadows grow and the earlier the sun drops beneath the sea. I love this time of year despite the cold, the wind and the ice, it has a certain beauty.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Loretta, I can SO relate to you. My daughter, my 15 month old granddaughter, and my daughters 2 dogs just moved out of my house this past week after being here for 8 months. Believe me, I love them dearly, but I am LOVING the peace and quiet in my home now.

    All of these photos are absolutely gorgeous and beautiful . :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG..............I don't think I could have survived 8 months, I struggled with 2 weeks. But I don't think my daughter would have coped with 8 months either, she needs her space too.........you have my sympatrhy and I know you will be enjoying the peace and quiet now.

      Delete
  2. I had a younger brother and sister to play with, but I loved and love reading so I'd be perfectly content to do that. We didn't have a lot of toys either, just an imagination, and we lived in the country.

    Glad to see you and your photos back. Thanks for the card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photographs are wonderful, Loretta. I really get a sense of your beautiful rural land and seascapes. I wonder myself with my grandson if he isn't missing something by not playing more outside so I used to try to get him out on walks when he visited. I guess it's just a part of life now and he's into all sorts of sports activities now so things haven't changed as much as I feared :-)

    I find it is nice for have loved ones around, and always a relief when a good long visit is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I feel quite luckyy to live here, I love the light.

      Delete