Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Rwanda paintngs are finished.



Finally, all three Rwanda paintings are finished and  today I took them into work. The deputy head who approved my request to take the painting course as my ‘preparation for retirement’ course also happens to be the person who organises the schools support for the Rwanda project. Every year he organises a group of staff and senior pupils to visit the project in Rwanda as voluntary workers. These paintings, taken from last years photographs, are my way of saying thank you for approving and funding my painting course. He actually recognised all of the people in the paintings so they can’t be that bed.
Hopefully they will be sold or auctioned to raise funds for the project.

Another happy coincidence happened today. I am part of the language department in the school and over the last few weeks my task has been to sort through the books in the store room and ruthlessly sort and pack at least fifty percent as surplus to requirement. We need the space in the store and many of the books are old and shabby. I’ve spent weeks sorting, cataloguing and packing; now I have a store room half full of boxes filled with unwanted books. Until today, I had no idea what I was going to do with them. Today I approached the same deputy head and asked if the books could be used in the schools in the Rwanda project. To my utter delight he agreed to try to find space on the next container shipment.
 I count this as a successful day.

4 comments:

  1. these are really excellent Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your paintings sell. Are you back at work then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All three of the paintings cause me to feel very different emotions. Strong responses...now THAT is ART!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice.

    We are Taxpayers. We are Legion.
    We do not forgive.
    We do not forget.
    Expect us.

    ReplyDelete