Thursday, 20 June 2013

Photos of the cliff top walk





Yesterday, Wednesday 19th June, I decided to walk the cliffs again. I’ve not felt well enough to do this for a while but since retirement; I’ve been getting out and walking, gradually building up the distance until yesterday, when I felt confident to tackle the 5 mile walk along the cliff tops from my home town to the tiny village 5 miles away. It was the hottest day of the year, I had my bottle of water, a packet of peanuts, a small bar of dark chocolate and of course my camera. I even stood the cold water on top of the chocolate to prevent melting. 
The only provision I forgot was sun block, but that wasn’t such a disaster, partly due to the years I spent on the south coast I’m blessed with skin that tends to tan not burn. 

I learnt I need proper walking shoes, my casual shoes that I’ve always said are comfy enough to wear any where, turned out to be totally inadequate for a five mile cliff top walk.
Another reason I’ve not done this in a while is because; over the last couple of years there have been a few landslides where great sections of rock face fell into the sea and some of the pathways collapsed leaving the path closed to the public.
( this is a section of the old path that fell into the sea) 
I’m not sure I will be doing it again either, there is a section of path that is far to close to the edge for me to feel safe. I don’t ever remember feeling afraid up there before, the cliff top path has always been one of my most favourite places in the whole world.  
I’m not sure if the path really is closer to the edge and narrower than it used to be, or if it’s me being less confident than I was. I’m all too aware these days I could easily fall or stumble and I can’t sit on the ground and get up again with out a lot of difficulty (and total loss of dignity). I’m not 100% sure, but I really do think that could be my last time walking the whole 5 miles.

 I feel quite sad about that, it’s taken me a couple of years to get round to doing it again only to find that maybe I should find somewhere else to walk in future. But weather or not I do the whole walk again, the first part is quite safe and I’m sure I’ll go there again.
I took loads and loads of photos, and I’m very disappointed in most of them. I’m not sure why but many of the photos are out of focus and not very good at all. The sun was bright, I couldn’t see properly at times and the LCD screen was more like a mirror than a viewing screen. But some turned out ok.
The views are just the best. It was so hot the sea was that pure deep blue that’s you see on the very best days of summer and the sky was almost the same colour just a shade lighter with the occasional white fluffy cloud. 


I wish there was a way to share just how beautiful it all was because those cliffs, at their best as they were yesterday, are unbeatable for breathtaking scenery and awe inspiring beauty.
How different it was this morning. It was still very warm, but every thing was misty and overcast, the colours were muted and pastel and that has altogether another kind of beauty.


12 comments:

  1. Loretta you are so lucky to live so near to such a beautiful place. I would give all to be able to walk along there. You photos are beautiful. so clear, I feel as if I am right there with you. Have a great summer, happy solstice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you enjoyed them, I love living here and do consider myself very fortunate to have all of this on my door step.

      Delete
  2. I find it difficult to take photos in bright, bright sun. Your photos are lovely, but I don't doubt the landscape and the sea are much more impressive in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the photos, but I did have a lot of problems taking photos that day. The sun was so bright I couldn't see what I was doing, the ones I posted here are just about the best of the day.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this walk with you-just gorgeous views Loretta-I can see why it is one of your favorite spots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kathy, I really do love this place, it was a was a lovely walk, the weather was great and the views were fantastic, glad you enjoyed the photos.
    hope your trip was good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These are Photos that knock my socks off. Such deep blues and greens! So glad you took this walk, I'm sure you'll not forget how it made your senses go wild. Thank you again for sharing. I love your shares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, nice to know you liked them. If you read this, please get in touch, I'm locked out of your site and I can't even get in any where to send you a message

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos. Sorry to hear you about your health and safety concerns - I hope you can continue to enjoy this lovely landscape and share it with those of us that would love to be there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the views around here but maybe I'm just not as brave as I used to be. I'll be walking and taking photos for a good few years yet I think. And then coming back here to share them :-)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful vistas! I haven't seen pictures from a walk along a sea cliff to compare with these in quite a while. You're certainly blessed with such a backdrop to near to. I hope you'll continue to walk but be careful on whatever part of the trail suits you. Thanks Loretta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug...............and thanks, yep that was quite some walk, well worth the effort. I am always grateful for the natural beauty of the place I call home... :-)

      Delete