Saturday, 4 January 2014

Christmas/ New Year over.............and life goes on

It’s officially over, my grandchildren are returned to their mother, the decorations are back in boxes on the top shelf of the cupboard, the house is clean and tidy and not one morsel of junk food remains in this house. Its back to porridge for breakfast home made veggie broth for lunch and fish or eggs for tea.
My next major task is stripping and redecorating the stairway. It’s not a job I’m looking forward too but; once the stairway is done, the whole house is done. Yep this is the final stage in the complete redecoration of the whole house. It’s taken me a couple of years to strip every room back to the plaster and start from scratch, but I’m almost there. The only thing that stands between me and the complete redecoration of the entire house is the stairway.  And when I’ve actually done the whole house, I’ll sit back and think, wow what an achievement.
But; before the redecorating begins there is something else I have to do. I made the decision a while ago to get myself a dog. I’ve had a canine companion for most of my life but when my last little one died about 5 years ago I decided not to get another until I retire. Well here I am retired and looking for a faithful friend. I went to the rescue kennels today to see the handsome chap at the top of the page. He is a border collie, about 3 years old and called Sammy. I saw his picture on the local dog rescue site and immediately felt drawn to him. He is a fantastic dog, he’s friendly, gets on well with kids and other dogs and like a game of fetch. He doesn’t seem to know the difference between sit and down, when you say sit………..he lies down but the learning potential is defiantly there. Apparently he was picked up by the police in a nearby town and taken to the local pound to wait for the owner to reclaim him. No owner showed up so he was passed on to dog rescue to be rehomed. I absolutely loved him but the people at dog rescue tried to steer me toward a smaller, more placid, black and white female collie called Bobby. They think Sammy could be a bit much for me to handle, they are right, he is a big strong dog and he does pull on the lead, but I really liked him as soon as I saw him and I’m sure he would learn not to be so boisterous.  Bobby is ok, a very sweet little dog but I think she is too submissive and she doesn’t seem to interact with people very well, she wasn’t interested in playing, she just wanted off the lead so she could run off on her own.  Also as soon as she was shut back in the kennel she started dancing round and round in circles, chasing her tail and barking. I think she could have some separation issues and would maybe bark and whine when alone in the house, especially as she has already been rehomed once and returned after 6 weeks because she didn’t settle. The People at the kennels seemed to blame the new home. They said the new owners hadn’t been exercising her enough and left her on her own too much. This may have been true, she was obviously over weight which makes me think she needed exercised but I’m still not sure about her. I hope to go back to the kennels tomorrow and get a better look at both of them. Apparently another couple are going to look at Sammy tomorrow and I have a feeling the rescue people want Sammy to go to this couple and not me. I feel as if Sammy is meant for me but if it doesn’t happen, maybe he’s just not the one. Maybe little Bobby is the one meant for me. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see. Today I went with the grandchildren who have been staying with me plus their mother and that turned out well because both dogs got on very well with the grandchildren.  Tomorrow I’m going with my other daughter and her Daisy Dog. What ever dog I end up with has to get on well with Daisy Dog because when I go away my dog will stay with her and when my daughter goes away Daisy dog stays with us. It’s all quite exciting. Will keep you posted.

6 comments:

  1. Sammy is the one for you, Loretta! You're probably right about what the people at the rescue centre want. I used to have a big dog and always used a Halti for her, that is when I put her on a lead. She was the sweetest dog ever. Don't believe everything they tell you either. I suspect if Bobby was taken back to them, it was for more reasons - sad to say. Happy 2014, Loretta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda and thanks for your input but things have progressed a bit today. I went back to the kennels this morning with my other daughter and Daisy dog. Bobby the little black and white bitch was much better today, she is sweet, she got on really well with Daisy and she absolutely loved Jackies 9 year old son. Bobby seemed to interact better with me today and she was good on a lead, good enough for me to walk walk both dogs at the same time which I will have to do when Daisy stays with me. Today we got the full story; apparently Bobby had a really good home for the first three years of her life. She lived with a couple and their young daughter until the husband left and the wife tried to cope on her own. In the end she reluctantly gave Bobby up for adoption because she was in the midst of a divorce, coping with a young child and working full time. Ian ( the man from the rescue organisation) said she was in floods of tears and totally distraught when she left Bobby at the kennels. Bobby was then rehomed to a couple who claimed to be retired but although did no paid worked, both worked all day in charity shops. They sent a very elderly gent in at lunch time to take Bobby out for a quick pee but I don't think the poor thing got much exercise because she is quite over weight. Anyway, the couple returned her after 6 weeks and when I saw Bobby yesterday she had literally only just arrived back in kennels so was quite upset. Bobby was certainly much more settled today. I also had Sammy ( the lovely white dog) out again this morning but he almost pulled me of my feet, he really is quite a big strong dog and although there was no problem, he didn't seem to get on so well with Daisy as Bobby did. I just loved Sammy but I have to admit, I may not be the best owner for him. In the end I came home, thought about it and phoned this evening asking for Bobby. Bobby is coming for a weeks trial on Tuesday, really excited and looking forward to it. Will keep you posted :-)

      Delete
  2. I hope things work out well for you both. I've always preferred female dogs as they're usually calmer. Like I said though, Haltis are great with dogs that pull, because they go round and round and they soon get used to wearing them. When people used to see Honey in her Halti, they thought she was wearing a muzzle; even the police commended me once for putting a muzzle on my dog. I don't know why people never realized she could open her mouth, bark and even bite if she wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda, my daughter suggested one of those halties and if I had asked for Sammy, I would have needed one but I think Bobby is going to be ok without one. Sammy is such a lovely dog I rally wanted him but after he almost pulled me over this morning I had to admit maybe he wasn't right for me. A couple who are a bit younger than me went to see him today and they sounded quite keen so hopefully he will get a new home soon. If I had been just a bit younger or even if my arthritis wasn't quite so bad maybe I would have chosen Sammy. I think I made the right choice in the end. I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  3. How exciting for you Loretta. We still are not ready for another dog and next month it will be a year already. Choosing a dog is a big commitment so take your time-those can't be the only 2 dogs available. I thought the one in the photo seemed pretty large too-but all depends on their temperment and how they interact. good luck-and have fun choosing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Loretta, if I had known you wanted a dog, I would have sent you the one that has been staying with me for the last couple of months, the one that has tried my patience. He is actually a very smart dog, but his owner has not trained him properly. They have found a house to buy and will be leaving at the end of the month. You pup looks quite handsome and I wish you good luck with him.

    ReplyDelete