Decorating the hall is finished.
Once I recovered from the awful shock of thinking I’d
lost EVERYTHING, which of course I hadn’t, it was onward and upward with the
decorating. So glad I did because, as I said in the beginning, I’m very
impressed with my white stairway, and how it showcases my paintings and I
wanted the same for my hallway. Now that it’s finished, I think I can safely
say, I’ve achieved my aim.
At the end of last year I gave away most of my larger
paintings, the ones I thought were my best, to my daughters, leaving the
smaller ones for me to hang here. My stairway is like a rogue’s gallery with
all my portraits and my hallway is like a little bit of France with all my poppy and
lavender paintings. That big green, geometric painting is one of only two
paintings I have kept from when I was a teenager at Art College.
I’ve noticed it has several scratches across it; in places it’s quite badly
scratched and damaged. It was painted in about 1970 and it’s been hauled around
the country with me ever since so some damage is not exactly surprising. I’ve
never been able to retouch it because it was painted in oil and now I only use
acrylic. But, one of my friends gave me a small box of oil paint for Christmas
and now I’m thinking I should do a little remedial work on it.
It’s funny how when ever I get the decorating gear out
of the shed, the single job planned ends up with lots of little ‘add ons’. This
time the ‘add ons’ included; fixing all the little bits of loose moulding that
hide the seam between floor and skirting along the hall, removing (or at least
trying to) all the old paint that had accumulated along the edges of the door
frames, washing down all doors and doorframes, spraying various patched of
black mould spores that appeared along the wall/ ceiling join in virtually
every room and then re-touching the white ceilings. The more you do, the more
you see that needs doing. While I have this gynormous pot of white paint, plus brushes
and paint rollers sat here on the kitchen table, I’ve noticed my kitchen walls
need a quick coat of white. I need to cover the (many) splatters and sploshes
of acrylic paint accidently sloshed in the wrong direction while sitting at the
kitchen table doing my paintings. I really need to be more careful and aim for
the canvas not the walls. Once that’s done I can definitely put the decorating
stuff back in the shed for another year. Oh… one exception, I need to get some
interior wood paint to paint the new hand rail on the stairs and maybe retouch
a couple of the treads that are looking a bit warn. And then…… it’s DONE for at
least another year. As I get older my approach to home DIY etc has changed,
these days I realise the only way I can cope with all this stuff is to keep on
top of it and never let it get too bad.
Yesterday I noticed all my snowdrops are up in the
garden, I’d forgotten how many spring bulbs I have and now I’m thinking, next
on the list ( after shoving all the decorating gear back in the shed) must be a
little light gardening. In fact I’ve even thought about starting up my
gardening blog again. Yesterday was an absolutely beautiful day. The sun shone,
the sky was a cloudless blue, the sea was sparkling and shimmering , the birds
were singing and all was well in the world, except of course for the biting
cold. If it wasn’t for the fact that the trees remain skeletal and every one
dresses as if for the Antarctic, yesterday would have looked like your average
mid summer day. Cold, wind and rain be gone, a little gardening is called for very
soon. I feel it calling me.
Loretta your hall looks fabulous and I love the paintings from France. It all looks so good on those beautiful white walls. It is good to catch up on everything you can while all the renovations tools are out. I had to repaint my cabinets in the kitchen recently. Took me forever to get around to doing it and then when I finally did it only took me an hour to do it all.I will remember this the next time I put something off.
ReplyDeleteSpring is just around the corner and I know we will all be out fussing in the yard,(me) garden (you) enjoying the wonderful weather and the beautiful blooms
Thanks Susan... I love my white walls with paintings, so glad I did it.I know exactly what you mean, I've had the paint and every thing I need sat on the kitchen table all day waiting for me to start painting the kitchen walls, and instead of painting, I've been sat here all day on the computer. I am about to go and make a start now which is a bit silly because the light is begining to go but at least I have bright strip lighting in the kitchen. The area to be painted wont take me long, its just getting round to it thats the problem. :-)
DeleteI sure know that feeling.
DeleteHow did you get your own photos as background?
Kathy told me how to do it. But can't remember exactly without looking it up. Will get back to you with instructions :-)
Deletethank you,if you can't sort it out let me know and I will ask Kathy
DeleteWOW, it looks fabulous, Loretta! i can't wait to see it in person! :)
ReplyDeletethat is sooo exciting Deb
DeleteI'm also soooo excited and looking forward to it :-)
DeleteWe had the same weather here yesterday. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've seen the sun so brilliant this winter as it was yesterday. As for your decorating, I love it and I'm sure you're reaaly proud of a job well done. It'll be interesting to see that painting of yours repaired too. Good luck with being able to put away your equipment.
ReplyDeleteyes I'm quite looking forward to doing a bit of remedial work in oils on that painting. The only problem is getting round to it, I'm still painting kitchen walls now :-)
DeleteLoretta, it does all look fabulous-some of my favorite paintings are those lavender pieces. It always feels so good when we get a project started and completed-we are still in a deep freeze here in the Ozarks
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathy, I quite like the lavender too and its nice to have somewhere to show them off .
DeleteI love how your hall looks and I admire you for sticking with it and getting it all done and looking so nice. I can sure relate to what you say about the more you do, the more you notice needs to be done. I spent several months repainting my entire house and I said that is the last time I am going to do it. But now I am looking at the ceiling and thinking maybe I should have done them too...... it never ends ! I think you are right though, it is best to keep up with it as we go and not let anything go too long. I can barely move for days after climbing up and down a ladder when I paint :-)
ReplyDeleteoh I know how you feel, that step ladder drives me mad, up and down, up and down, and then the achy muscles afterwards. But even if I'm doing it more often now, I still find its less work to keep on top of things and not let any of it get too bad. The good thing is that most of my house now has the sort of wall paper you can just paint over so from now on there will be a less wall paper hanging but more painting, and painting is so much easier.
DeleteYou have done a brilliant job there and I'm so pleased the photo 'crisis' worked out ok
ReplyDeleteThanks Gillian, I'm happy to be finished with the decorating :-)
Delete