John Duncan, St Bride, 1913 Tempera on canvas, 112 x 144 cm.
National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh.
This is one of my favourite paintings; I’ve posted it several times in the past, on several different sites, usually at this time of year. Imbolc is the perfect excuse to share (again) this wonderful painting.
According
legend the Irish Saint Bride was transported miraculously to Bethlehem to attend the nativity of Christ.
Here she is shown with two angels who carry the white robed saint across the
sea. Duncan was fascinated with the Outer Hebrides and the Isle of Iona. The birds and seal are the natural environment used as a backdrop to the supernatural angels carrying
St Bride. Scenes from the life of Christ decorate the angel's robes, and include
the artist's self-portrait as the tiny clown (a holy fool) accompanying the
procession of the magi on the leading angel's gown. The Irish Goddess Brighid is the keeper of the sacred flame, the
guardian of home and hearth, the crone. When
Ireland
converted was to Christianity, the people refused to let go of their deities and the Goddess Brighid became a Christian saint.
Beautiful moon tonight over my house.

i could stare at that painting all day. what a beautiful moon - very cool pic, my dear.
ReplyDeleteMe too, I love that painting. It's by a Scottish artist called John Duncan who graduated from the local University early twentieth century. I love his work, its Celtic revivalist. His paintings tell old Celtic stories and are full of symbolism. . Sadly he's not so well known outside of Scotland.
DeleteI don't remember this painting-such detail-lots to see,
ReplyDeleteI agree with Deb lovely shot of the moon
Hmmmmmmm I'm sure I posted it before but if I didn't, its even better that I have now. I love this guys work, and yes..........totally beautiful moon yesterday :-)
DeleteThanks for sharing such beauty!
ReplyDeleteI'm always more than happy to share John Duncans work, just love it :-)
DeleteI just love that painting. I have a copy of it in my massage room. Just beautiful. Nice moon too
ReplyDeletewow do you really?? you must be the only person outside Scotland I have ever met who even knows of this wonderful wonderful painting. Do you also know the painting the Riders of the Sidhe. Thats another of my favourite paintings, again by John Duncan, I've stood and lost myself in that painting many times. I'm very lucky because Riders of the Sidhe is in the gallery in Dundee so I can go anytime to see it.I have to go a bit further to see St Bride she hangs in Edinburgh.
Deleteactually some friends of mine discovered it that last time they were in Scotland. I do love it. I don't know the other one. Sidhe, the fairies right. do you think you could post a copy of it. I know I would love it. His work is just the style I love
DeleteHi Sue, This is a link to a very old blog. Would you believe this is one of the first 'Art Sunday' Blogs I ever did on Multiply. When Multiply finished I transferred all the blogs here. I made a blog site called 'The Forgotten Studio' for all my art blogs from 360 and from Multiply and then I carried on doing Art Sunday from the same place. Unfortunately all the blogs that transferred from Multiply to here lost all the pictures once the lights were turned off at Multiply. BUT............I've just gone back to this one and put the pictures back for you.
DeleteEnjoy :-)
http://theforgottenstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-riders-of-sidhe.html
Answered on facebook. I really love the Riders of the Sidhe. Duncan is so romantic, that is what his style is called right? Just beautiful
DeleteI don't remember seeing this painting before. Tracy posted some photos of the moon in her part of Spain. I looked, but all I saw were clouds. I laugh sometimes when I see the weather in London is better or warmer than ours. The weatherman has said we might get some snow in Madrid tonight. It won't stick because it's raining.
ReplyDeleteHi Brenda, I'm amazed no one recognizes this I thought I had posted it many time, but as no one remembers, I guess I was wrong. Lol.. Snow... Brrrrr yes it started snowing here earlier.
Delete