Thursday, 12 March 2015

More evidence of spring.







Sunday was one of the best days so far this year. We had blue skies, mild temperatures and a noticeable lack of wind, rain and cold. 
My photographer friend and I decided it was time to take our cameras out for a bit of a photo session. I’m not sure why but we decided to go to the war memorial park. 

Even though the memorial is in the town and easily accessible, I’ve only visited a couple of times before. The war memorial stands at the top of a little hill just as you enter the town from where the views of the coastline are spectacular. For the first time I stopped in front of the memorial and took a good look at it. 

I don’t know exactly how many individual names are there, I didn’t think to work it out at the time; all I could think of was the apparent abundance of names for such a small town. The entire population of the town (men women and children) was no more than about 20,000 back then and the list of dead must have been between around 2000.  To me that seemed like a lot of dead men from one small town.  And then I began thinking how the wars go on. We are frequently told that thanks to the nuclear deterrent, we have all lived war free since the end of WW2; what a load of rubbish. People have been killed in conflict somewhere in the world every day since then. Somewhere in the world, men women and children are being killed in conflict right now. As I sit here in the comfort and safety of my own home, writing this, someone else, somewhere else, is dying in a war. And it hasn’t all happened in far off distant lands where we can pretend it’s nothing to do with us. Some of the worse conflicts have been right here in Europe, in Bosnia, in Kosovo, in Serbia to name but a few. All I could think as I stood in front of the memorial with that long list of names was how bloody pointless it all is. It never ends. 


Anyway, I dragged my thoughts away from the battlefield we wandered away from the memorial. I tried to put these morbid thoughts out of my mind and enjoy the rest of the day. 

Spring colour was everywhere, deep violet crocus, yellow daffodils, and that dusty yellow ochre of the catkins. The sky was blue and filled with birdsong. 


I spotted a chaffinch busy collecting feathers and twigs for nest building. I managed a couple of shots but they are poor quality because the bird stayed just out of camera zoom range. 


Clever bird, it was teasing me. The next little bird interested me because I couldn’t identify it. This fat bird sat high up in the tree where its colours were hard to distinguish making identification virtually impossible.

 Then came one of the biggest Great Tits I’ve ever seen, resplendent and puffing out its bright yellow chest. 

I’m not sure what it is about blackbirds and crows that fascinate me so much but I really like those big black birds. They have no fear, unlike the smaller song birds they don’t take off and fly away as soon as they see you. The blackbirds hold their ground; they stay put, sing even louder and ignore you. I’m pretty sure they could become quite tame in the right circumstances.

 From the memorial park to the pond is about a ten minute walk and that’s the direction our feet took us. It wasn’t planned, it just happened, we followed our feet.  I had put my camera away by the time we reached the pond but then I spotted this female mallard in the shallow water scooping up water and spiting it out. I’m not sure what she was doing but it was interesting enough for me to get the camera out again.





And to finish, I leave you with this, an owl sat on top of a pile of open books carved directly from the stump of a tree. This sits in front of the entrance to the local college. I’m guessing the tree needed to be felled for some reason, maybe disease, maybe it was in danger of falling, I don’t know the reason but what ever it was some creative person decided to invite a woodcarver to weave magic over the stump and this is the result. I think it’s a very fitting and innovative welcome to the college. 

14 comments:

  1. what an utterly sublime photo journal. thank you for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb :-), this time of year is lovely, its still cold, we still get awful weather but you can always see the signs of the seasons changing. Early spring always makes me feel good.

      Delete
  2. I'm thoroughly enjoying your lovely posts - all your wonderfu photos! I've found some of your words very moving and I adore that painting of your grandson - you've captured how proud he is to be a cadet! I'm impressed with the whole DIY thing! I loathe DIY and avoid it whenever possible! Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog - do you want that lighthouse piccy? It'll just sit round here doing nothing so it's yours if you'd like it (I won't be offended if you say no!). If you'd like it just email me at artyshroo@gmail.com ok? hugs from a fellow lighthouse fan - Shroo:)xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachael, actually I'm not a great fan of DIY either. I used to quite enjoy it but now its a chore. I think thats why I make more effort to keep on top of it these days because I just can't face the thought of taking on a big project, i'm not up to that any more. I've put my decorating stuff away now but in the autumn I'll get it out again and repaint the bathroom and kitchen ceilings. I like your blogs, they are so full of creativity, its a pleasure to comment on them. Thank you so much I would LOVE the little lighthouse drawing, will email you with address and stuff, but before you decide check out the mailing costs. I know from other friends that mailing costs are very, very expensive these days. If its too expensive to ship across thats Ok I quite undestand :-)

      Delete
    2. Happy for you to have it :) Your profile blurb says that you're up in Scotland (SO envious!!) - I'm a bit further down in England so post should be fine, even overseas is ok for letters...it's just parcels that cost a kidney, three spleens and the national debt of all combined superpowers! Not a worry - feel free to send postie details and I'll let you know when your piccy - for 'tis now yours - is on its way. Big hugs from a bleak and rainy England!- Shroo:)xxx

      Delete
  3. I loved these spring photos Loretta. Those flowers just really burst forth in the picture.

    Sad to think about war and know that it will probably never end as long at there are people alive. I won't go into my own country's part in keeping so many conflicts going, but I am not blind to it.

    Anyway, it is good to see you posting lately and again, I LOVE these photographs, the birds too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its such a great time of year to get out there taking photos isn't it?? There is always something to look anf enjoy as the days get warmer.
      I think we are all aware of the horrors our governments commit in out name, but I'm ashamed to say I'm a coward these days. I don't protest too much, don't voice my opposition or my opinion too much and tend not to have the big discussins I used to have. I think as you get older you feel more powerless, or at least I do. In fact what I feel most is a great sadness at the world my daughters and grandchildren inherit and a complete powerlessness to do anyhting about it. So I just occupy myself with taking pretty photos and painting. :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, deep and thoughtful, bright and airy in each relevant area. Thanks for sharing and here's to a warm and sunny springtime (as the rain beats down in Somerset!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillian, is it still raining in Somerset?? Sometimes I think we have better weather up here in Scotland that people do 'down south' in your neck of the woods. You have longer and maybe hotter summers, but we have some great weather here. :-)

      Delete
  5. the beautiful flowers and birdies sure take you away from sad thoughts of war. Beautiful spring photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi susan Yep thats what I thought, its a bit odd in someways to have something reminding us of all the awful things that happen standing right slap bang in the middle of all that peace, tranquility and beauty. It evokes a very strange combination of emotions.

      Delete
  6. My sentiments exactly on war. I'm not very good at recognizing a lot of birds either - just the ones I often see in the city, although I recently heard that there were fewer sparrows in Madrid mainly because the Argentinian parrot had taken over their territory. This noisy green bird has established itself in most parks I've been to, and, of course, aren't native to Spain.

    I love all your photos, especially the one with the owl and books. Will we see some of these photos in paintings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda, I'm making a real effort to get to know my birds a bit better. I have an identification book and of course, my photographer friend is so well informed in that area I can always ask her. I'm now wondering if those pretty, brightly coloured, little parrot type birds that were every where in Barcelona were the Argentinian parrots you speak of. They were all over the Goudi park and made such a noise, I thought they were native to Spain. I didn't realise they were an invasive species. Its a shame if they are reducing the numbers of native species, its always sad when that happens.
      As for the paintings, no not any of these. What I'm working on now is the snowscape that I think I shared a couple of blogs ago. Its for my daughter for her birthday. Her birthday has passed but thats what she wanted so now she has to wait for me to finish.. :-)

      Delete
  7. Yes, those are the birds you saw in Barcelona and no they're not native of Spain. Their noise is irritating, not to mention their heavy nests are bad for the trees. Your daughter will love her painting I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete