Saturday, 21 March 2015

Mixed media workshop



Mixed media workshop

Today I’ve spent the whole day at a mixed media workshop. Mixed media is outside my comfort zone, not something I feel confident with but today turned out to be the most fun I’ve had in ages.
The task was to make a ‘book’. Its not actually a book in the conventional  sense of the word, it’s a length of good quality cartridge paper, about 46 x 7 inches folded to make 6 equal pages of roughly 7 x 7 inch.  These ‘pages’ are folded to concertina out on themselves and make a free standing ‘book’. Once finished the thick cardboard covers are added to the front and back. And that’s about it. 
Once the thing is actually constructed the fun begins, there are no rules except have fun. Originally I planned on a forest theme but before I had finished the first page I decided to expand the theme from simple forest to all encompassing natural environment.
We used lots of little bits of paper to make coloured and textured marks and then left the paper to dry. Once dry they were ripped, torn or cut into random shapes and stuck onto the pages of the book. To this was added bits torn from magazines, bits of tissue paper and in my case a couple of very small drawings ripped from a little sketch book I carry. 
Then paint was added, sometimes thick, sometimes a wash and sometimes applied with a sponge or comb. I didn’t always stick to that order of doing things and after a while this little book of mine took on a life of its own. I finished off mine by doing a few doodle like drawings and emphasising some of the sketch book drawings. 
I felt a bit rushed and I think I would have been happier with the end result if I could have taken a bit more time, but that doesn’t really matter because I’ve already decided to make at least one more and this time take my time and make a better job of it.
Anyway……………here is my little mixed media book, I would appreciate your feedback because this isn’t the sort of work I usually do and I’m still not too sure about it. But regardless of the result, oh I’ve had a fun day  


I’m already thinking about how I can progress from the basic idea. I’m thinking next time I could incorporate bits of fabric, maybe embellish with beads and/ or buttons. I think maybe next time I will make it so that it opens and closes vertically rather than horizontally, that way it could be opened and hung on a wall lengthwise. 
I thought maybe I could figure out a way to use a button and loop fastening to close the book but also use the same  loop to hang the book from a wall. There are so many ideas buzzing around in my head I just want to get started on the next one.   


9 comments:

  1. I love it ! You are so creative Loretta. Glad you had fun stepping out of your comfort zone ~~ :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lia, it was soooo far out of my comfort zone I wasn't looking forward to it but it turned out to be great fun. Not really happy with the end result but it has given me loasds of ideas.

      Delete
  2. this is awesome Loretta! we all need to step out of our comfort zones when we can. making books and journals opens up a whole new art form-my blog friend Shroo does some amazing things and if you google search or even search on etsy it may give you lots more inspiration-glad you had fun-that is the whole point of art and creativity in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, and thanks for the PM, have been busy catching up with things but am away to answer as soon as I finish here :-)
      Yes Shroo is amazing, I love her work and her etsy shop is beautiful, it has made me think maybe I should give etsy another tgo. I tried once before and never sold a thing :-)

      Delete
  3. Well done you - this is the start of using fabric with your painting! Look at the american magazine 'Cloth, Paper, Scissors' - you can get it online. Also look up Lynda Monk - she does loads of mixed media with fabric, Gilli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillian and thank you so much for commenting, I have a book on mixed media that I'm busy searching for ideas bit I will certainly go look up the magazine you mention. Also I think I've seen some of your contacts are really into mixed media and textile art so I intend to go have a bit of a look at what they are doing :-) thanks for the input

      Delete
  4. I love it and all your ideas such as having it open vertically, a way to both fasten it and hang it on the wall, adding other bits of fabric, etc.What lovely gifts these would make and would sell too I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I never thought of the gift idea. Constantly searching for and buying christmas and birthday gifts can become very difficult. Sometimes you just end up with the inevitable wine, chocs and flowers. I think you are right, something along those lines would make very individual gifts WOW..... more ideas thanks :-)

      Delete
  5. I love this - especially the colours :) You did an awesome job there, lady! I love making these books - with photos inside, or quotes they do make wonderful gifts. I've had a tutorial lined up for my blog for ages but haven't got round to it (organisation NOT a strong point!!) This post will DEFINITELY inspire your readers to try this excellent technique - and i do look forward to your future mixed media work as I'm certain it will be gorgeous. Big hugs from Shroo:)x

    ReplyDelete