Spring has arrived.
I was so happy to finally put the paint and brushes
back in the shed. By the time finished I’d had enough of emulsion
paint for at least another year. After I finished the hall I went on to paint
the new handrails on the stairs, then I decided to paint the skirting boards
and door frame in the bathroom and then, I repainted all the walls and skirting
boards in the kitchen. Once I started painting the kitchen I realised how
discoloured it was and how much it desperately needed painting. Anyhow, now
that it’s done, it looks so much better, nice and clean and bright and white.
Those are not my paintings on the kitchen wall; the landscape is a print I
bought from a shop. I saw it, fell in love with the view and promised myself I
would go there one day. It’s a place called Riomaggiore which is a tiny
medieval village high up on the cliffs above the coast of North
West Italy. I bought the print and have kept it on my kitchen wall
ever since to remind myself that one day….. I will go there. The yellow rose on the kitchen wall is a
photograph printed on canvas, it was taken by a friend of mine (who is an
excellent photographer), she had it printed up on canvas and gave me for
Christmas.
And as soon as the decorating paraphernalia was back
in the shed, out came the canvas and acrylic paints. I finished off the
portrait of Justin, my grandson. He is only 13 but he’s joined the army cadets
and goes off to camp every month. He’s very proud of his uniform and made a
special point of asking me to make sure I paint the red feathery thingy on his
beret (sorry military people can’t remember what he called it).
Once he was finished I planned my next couple
of paintings. I need to do a snowscape of the hills for my daughter, that’s
what the long canvas is for, and I plan on doing four small square and two
small round canvases of bright yellow sunflowers. Today, I prepared all the
canvases and made a start on the snowscape painting.
Last week was mostly spent saving photos to my flickr
account. I’ve finished saving everything from 2014 and I’m up to date with this
years photos. Looking back at the flickr account I realise I actually saved
every thing quite regularly until about the end of 2010 and then for some
reason, I just stopped, and now I’m playing catch up. If you want to see my
growing collection of literally thousands of photos they are here;
The one time I did venture down to the harbour this
week I spotted the inshaw lifeboat crew doing a training exercise and I saw the
old dredger was back. That same dredger spends a couple of months here every
year which I guess means our harbour is high maintenance.
And lastly…………Its spring, yep its official, my
snowdrops are in full bloom which means its spring in my garden. Even if its
not spring anywhere else, once the snowdrops bloom, its spring in my garden.
Within a couple of weeks I’ll open up my old gardening blog.
I have already
booked my grandson, (the one in the painting), to help me paint the garden
fences. He’s coming over for the weekend on Friday 13th and that’s
when it will all kick off in my garden.
What lovely pictures and your grandson looks like a handsome young man :-) I know you are glad to be done with the decorating and painting. Everything looks so nice. I might have to fly you over to do my house haha :-)
ReplyDeletelol......I'm pretty sure you could hire a couple of decorators for the price of a flight, although if it turns out you can't... just let me know :-)
DeleteYour kitchen looks fabulous! The yellow rose on your wall reminds me of our friend, Diana. Every Sunday when I go to the Post Secret web page, I see her avatar there. I'm sure your grandson will love your painting of him. I'm equally sure your paintings that you're preparing now will be lovely. How nice it is to see spring! Thanks for sharing some of your photos and your flickr account link.
ReplyDeleteyou know Brenda, that yellow rose has always reminded me of Diana. My friend gave it to me for Christmas 2013 and as soon as she gave it to me thats what I thought, and yes I see her avatar everywhere, its very sad.
DeleteThanks for visiting Flickr :-)
Wow you are a busy one. I see you have my fave Mr. Van Gogh in the kitchen. Love the painting of your grandson. You are lucky with your spring flowers, nothing has bloomed in my yard. and we just got hail dumped on us so much it looks like it snowed and now the sun is out.
ReplyDeleteI need to try that emulsion white, it is just white white. Looks great
Thanks Susan, that Van Gogh you see is actually my calander that my daughter bought me for Christmas, which means I have a new Van Gogh to look forward to every month, which is great :-) I'm guessing paint goes under a different name where you are, emulsion isn't the colour, its just the name of the paint used for interior walls, and yes, its white white, totally and conpletely white without a hint of anything else. You can get it in whats called satin finish or matt finish, I always use the matt finish just because I think it looks nicer and is a better backdrop for all my paintings.
Deletegood to know. I am always looking for white white and never seem to get it. I need a Van Gogh calender, lucky you
Delete