Saturday, 3 November 2012

Visit to a gallery and a change in the times.

I’ve been out and about with a friend again today. We visited the Kinblethmont gallery to see their latest exhibition. It was mostly new work by the artist Susan Winton but there were also other works by other artists. Among these other works was an old painting that I’ve seen several times before by John Johnstone. It’s a portrate of Dylan and is called The Songs of Dylan. We were stood discussing this painting when the man behind us started singing ’The times they are a changing. The song has stuck in my head all afternoon. The seasons are changing, the clocks changed last weekend, the light levels at this time of year change and some of us are still getting used to the changes in our social networking sites. The song seems very apt for now.

Bob Dylan The times they are a changing


Kinblethmont gallery

http://www.kinblethmontgallery.co.uk/index.html

6 comments:

  1. I've already expressed my feelings on the time change.
    This is the complete picture, isn't it, Loretta? Was just wondering what the rest of 'Spanish boots of' could be. Anyway, I like your post. It's a fitting theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Was just wondering what the rest of 'Spanish boots of' could be."

      'Boots of Spanish Leather'.... a track on Times They Are A-Changin' Dylan's 1964 album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPdBpcvRwic

      Delete
  2. I like the picture, but it is a very strange tribute to Bob Dylan I think. Why I wonder is he portrayed here playing a bass guitar, not an instrument he is normally associated with? Also is that Allen Ginsberg at the piano, it could be I'm not sure, but if so that is odd too.....and who are the other two, I have no idea?

    The song is indeed apposite at this time of huge flux and upheaval, but this version of it with german subtitles is not performed by Bob Dylan, I don't khow who it is, but its not the man himself......So all round a conundrum wrapped up in an enigma here I think, thanks for posting it Loretta :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just replaced the video, took me ages to find one actually sung by him and then I posted the wrong one...........and yes i think you are right. It looks lioke Allen Ginsberg but.......I've no idea why, and I've no idea why he he is playing a bass either. I've seen the painting a few times, its quite an old one of his but I like it because it reminds me of that time with all the little slogans and bits of writing. I've just done a post on the artist on my other site and the first painting there also looks like Ginsberg, again I have no idea why.

      Delete
    2. Yep that's our Bobby alright Loretta....I'll have a look at the pictures on your other site, its all a bit of a puzzle though isn't it?

      Delete
  3. wish I could figure out who the other two are supposed to be

    ReplyDelete