Thursday, 21 March 2013

Post surgery, post retirement.

Retirement in full swing, eye surgery done and dusted, eyesight improving by the day.

It’s slowly beginning to sink in; I will never ever have to go to work again. It’s an odd feeling. I think I’m basically a lazy person and it would be easy for me to spend my life alternating between the sofa, the TV and the computer. That’s all I’ve done since getting out of hospital, but I’ve forgiven myself for that and classed it as a period of ‘post-op’ recuperation. Anyway the weather has been very odd, far too cold to venture out in so soon after surgery.
Yesterday was the first day of spring; the spring equinox, the pagan celebration of the Anglo Saxon fertility goddess Ostara, one of two days in the year when we get exactly the same amount of daylight as darkness. The time when we traditionally decorate eggs, think of rabbits and hares and delight in spring flowers tied in bouquets with pastel ribbons.
How ever you look at it, at this time of year, we should not  be getting snow on the ground and sub zero temperatures along with snowdrops in bloom and the daffodils in bud. But that is exactly what we do have. Yesterday was a beautiful spring day, rather cold but blue skies and sunshine, by the evening the dark clouds and snowfall had returned and this morning we were greeted with a light dusting of snow every where, blue skies, sunshine and biting cold. I think our climate has gone crazy, this is not the way the spring equinox should be. This crazy weather has put my garden behind for months. It’s been too wet or too cold or too ‘both’ to get out and plant any thing, if I don’t get my shallots in soon they won’t have long enough in the ground.
And then I remember I’m retired and as soon as my eye is healed enough I can go out any time there is a break in the weather. My retirement plans are already taking shape. I have a senior coach card, coach tickets from Dundee to Stansted, flights from Stansted to LaRochelle, a couple of nights in a hotel in LaRochelle and a month with my sister in rural France, can’t wait. 



I also have a lovely bouquet of roses and freesias from family in Ireland. For the first time in ages I actually have the time to catch up on some reading here. Retirement is only a few days old and I’m loving it already.

5 comments:

  1. It will probably take a while to sink in that you don't have to get up early to go to work. I'm glad your surgery went well. Now if only the weather will improve. The other day I was reading one of old multiply posts from last February and we had 25º C the day I posted it. We certainly never reached that temperature this February, but I don't doubt that when the heat comes we'll know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to see you posting! Glad to hear the eye surgery is behind you and you are improving every day. I very badly need to schedule an appointment with an eye doctor. Suppose to be going every 6 months, and haven't been since I moved, getting close to 2 years.

    Welcome to retirement!! Husband, Ray, and I love it. We rarely go anywhere any more. We can spend as much time in the yard and garden as we want. Love it! I don't spent that much time on the computer any more either. Our weather has been summer-like already (mid 80's to low 90's during the day), so a lot needs doing outside. We have half of our huge vegetable garden already planted. Still trying to keep tons of seedling watered, and alive, till they are big enough to go in the ground. A lot of work, but well worth it, at least to me.

    Beautiful roses and freesias. Two of my favorite fragrant flowers. The wisteria is in bloom here now, and the smell is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana..............I've been thinking, could just post one little thing on your site and that way I will have some way to leave you a message. At the moment I have no way to contact you but if you posted, ther wiould always be a comments option to leave messages for you.thanks

      Delete
  3. Hi Diana
    Wisteria is one of my favourite trees. When I go to see my sister in France I always look out for her Wisteria, its so fragrant, its beautiful, I would love to plant one but they are quite slow growing. I think if I had one it would need to be quite a mature tree or I would never get the benefit from it.
    You are so lucky with your weather...........cold wet snow here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so behind on here at the moment! Congratulations on your retirement and glad the recovery from surgery is going well. Time in France sounds good. We need better weather here! Enjoy the loss of the alarm call every day :)

    ReplyDelete