Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Eye surgery was cancelled, and other stuff.

Last time I posted I said I was about to get more eye surgery.
It didn’t happen, I was packed and ready to go, I had a friend staying over who volunteered to come to the hospital with me and, at the last minute, (actually at 9.30 the night before surgery) I had a phone call from the hospital to say my surgery was cancelled. Apparently they were one surgeon down due to sudden illness, they had an unprecedented number of emergency cases admitted for surgery the following day and my surgeon was allocated to take care of all the emergencies, therefore unable to do any of his own cases. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. Eye surgery is not pleasant and I’d managed to get myself into the right frame of mind, I was totally organised and my head was absolutely in the right place, and then it didn’t happen.  I had to do a bit of thought reprogramming but in the end I realised that I was in fact the lucky one, I was going in for minor, routine eye surgery that can be done any time. It wasn’t life threatening and I was not in danger of losing my sight, the people who urgently needed eye surgery  were not so lucky, they were in danger of losing their sight and for them it really was a big deal and major surgery.
I then went down with another cold and realised it could have been dangerous for me to have surgery anyway as I already had a viral infection, so in some ways, I guess I was very lucky.
Last weekend was one of the  school long weekends, Friday through to Monday,  and even thought I still had the cold and wasn’t feeling 100% I did manage to go down south and see my sister and my mother for a couple of days. Mums not been well, nothing specific, but she’s in her 80’s and becoming frailer. I felt so sorry for my sister; my sister has osteoporosis and is not at all well sometimes. She takes a long time to get going in the morning and is heavily dependent on medication to keep her mobile. As mum becomes older and frailer, she also becomes more demanding and more dependent, she thinks nothing of phoning my sister in the middle of the night to come round because she doesn’t feel well, there is never any thing specifically wrong, she just says she doesn’t feel right. My sister lives just around the corner to mum, I live in Scotland, about 600 miles away and my other sister lives in France, even further away.  This means mum only has one daughter near by to call on and as she gets older, her awareness of other peoples needs and limitations has become non existent. I feel so bad for my sister looking after her, she is not well and I’m worried mum is making her worse. Hopefully I’ll get down more often once I retire.

My first time online in about a week and I’m shocked to find someone I knew over on Blogster has passed away. I read her posts before and knew her diagnosis but I didn’t expect it to be so soon. Three weeks betwen diagnosis and death is shocking. I keep thinking that if she were that close to passing by the time she was diagnosed her suffering must have been awful. I have lost too many people to that horrible disease, family members and friends and also people I consider friends but have never met in person. I think I have a lost a friend from every social network site I’ve ever been on.  I was not as close to her as others were but I’m shocked and saddened. I’m just happy her suffering has ended and she is at peace. 

Its too late tonight but over the next few days I will hopefully get round to catch up with every one.

4 comments:

  1. Too bad about your surgery being cancelled, but you seem to have the right attitude and like you said, it might not have been a good time for you after all. Hopefully you can get it done soon .

    I know how hard it is to have an elderly relative who is going downhill, AND to live so far away that it is a major trip to get up and see them. The hard part falls on the sibling who lives closest. I have to make a trip, 400 miles about once a month to visit my children's grandfather. He is 93 and up until this past year was in great health and very active. He had a stroke this past November and has had one problem after another since.

    I'm sure it is sad to learn of the passing of one of your internet contacts, but at least you know. I always think that some of mine could pass away and I would never know. That's a sad thing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear your friend has passed. Never easy to understand yet life is so fragile. Hope you will be healthy and strong once your surgery is rescheduled! Good for you for bolstering your good thoughts toward the cancellation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you didn't get your eye surgery done, but, as you say, it may have been for the best. Another one of my friends thought she had an appointment for her knee recently, only to discover they'd forgotten to record the appointment, and the time before that her doctor had been called to perform an emergency surgery. I hope this third time she actually sees the doctor and gets her problem sorted out. Wishing you good luck with your surgery whenever it happens.

    One of the people I've been in contact with since 360 also died sometime this past year. I only found out when I saw it on his daughter's facebook page. We've been connected to some of these people for so long that we feel the loss when something bad happens to someone we've never even met, so sorry to hear about your friend. I assume she was someone from multiply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. I'm glad it wasn't an emergency but I can imagine you have to change your medical plans, and that is never easy. Losing contact with a friend is hard. Best wishes with your mom; it's hard to face a parent going downhill. My mom was 83 when she passed and I know her attitude was that she was plain worn out.
    I have some people online in social networks I'd like to have lunch with but I know it not likely to ever happen.

    ReplyDelete