Sometimes there are three or four generations buried in the same plot. In the eighteenth and nineteenth century it was not unusual for women to die in childbirth and the legacy of this is the number of young women found buried with infants. Sometimes, a man is buried in the same plot as his first wife, his second wife and even his third wife, testament to the fragility of the lives of women back then.
It looks good in winter too, the whole area is covered in snow for much of the winter and that can be quite spectacular but for me, it’s the autumn colours that stand out.
We stopped by the river and ate a picnic, it wasn’t very warm but it wasn’t exactly cold either. At this time of year the temperature drops after about 3 in the afternoon and the sun sets between 5 and 6.
We ate and then walked a little way along the river bank. Most rivers around here are that golden colour. I think the water is stained by tannins as the river flows through woodland and the riverbed is covered in leaves and woodland debris.
It was a great day………….I’m very lucky to live here
Whenever I see your photos, I'm reminded of Walden Pond. Yes, you are so lucky to live where you do.
ReplyDeleteI don't know where Walden pond is, but I'm sure its somewhere nice.
DeleteBeautiful photos, I love old churches and graveyards too, this one looks very old. the photos show up so much better here on blogger-
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathy.............I totally agree, things always look so much better here,and thanks, glad you like the photos.
Delete