Thursday, 4 October 2012

The Stannin Stane of Kirriemuir



The Stannin Stane of Kirriemuir

The town of Kirriemuir is the smallest of the seven towns of Angus. It is known as the gateway to the Glens because it is the last town you pass through before leaving towns, houses and people behind and heading out to the Glens.

 

Very little is known about the town in prehistoric times, but a few remnants of those days still exist. One of the town’s well known features is a standing stone on Kirrie Hill, known as the ‘Stannin Stane’. The erection of this stone possibly dates to the Bronze Age, although this will probably never be known for certain.
 

The Stannin Stane at the top of Kirrie Hill, overlooks the town of Kirriemuir and the valley of Strathmore. From here you have wonderful views of the Grampian hills and surrounding area.
No one knows for certain why the stone was put there, no one even knows if it was always a solitary stone, or if it was originally one of a pair or even part of a prehistoric stone circle. 



There are remnants of other stones lying at its base and there are legends about the stone, but nothing is known for certain. There are authentic records of a second  stone or part of a stone  lying next to the Stannin Stane but this second fragment had disappeared before 1910.
My intuitive response to the stone is to think of it as a marker or beacon of some sort. It looks like an observation point, a place in the landscape where the surrounding low lying land can be observed for many miles in all directions. I can imagine how, as an iron age person, this spot could seem like the center of the universe with clear uninterrupted views in all directions.

3 comments:

  1. You may be right. I wouldn't think there would be only one rock erected, but not necessarily like Stonehenge. Lovely and wild-looking countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine looking standing stone surrounded like all prehistory in a veil of mystery. I wonder if stones like these were inspiration to the Picts whose own stones are quite prolific in that area I think....just speculating on whether under the lichen the might be any weather-beaten traces of Bronze Age art?

    That is a very interesting object in a area of natural beauty Loretta, thanks for drawing attention to it....another thing to see after you finish with the Tower Houses, castles, cliffs, coves and all the other wonders of your home territories...I have skirted the area on my way north (I once lived in Aberdeen for a few months) but obviously missed a lot of good stuff along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could spend a lifetime here and still miss much of what the area has to offer. I think there is a direct connection between the standing stones of pre-history and the pictish stones, when you see them they look as if one is in descent from the other. I can imagine this being an area that you would feel at home in,

      Delete