Friday, 5 October 2012

The Peter Pan Mosaic



To get to the Kirriemuir Stannin Stane we drove up Kirrie Hill and walked to the other side of the park, (also home to the cricket pavilion and a children’s playground).  




The entrance to the park is marked by a memorial mosaic dedicated to Peter Pan. Kirriemuir is the birthplace of J M Barrie, author of Peter Pan and most famous past resident of Kirriemuir.

Kirriemuir Hill lies to the north of the town of Kirriemuir which is the smallest of the seven Angus towns. It’s an important tourist destination as it’s strategically placed and known as 'Gateway to the Glens'. It's also the last town on the tourist rout before  the Cairngorms National Park. The public park on Kirriemuir Hill borders Kirriemuir cemetery, where J.M. Barrie is buried.
 
The Mosaic  is centered on the classic tale of Peter Pan and was designed by local artist and teacher Maureen Crosbie. She enlisted the help of local school children in designing and making the Mosaic. 


The whole  community helped with the design and creation, youngsters were asked to draw characters of the story, which were then worked up by Maureen Crosbie into a final design and finished  by children and adults of all ages. Soon after the mosaic was unveiled vandals used force to crack the mosaic and break pieces off, fortunately it has since been restored and is now on display at the entrance to the park for every one to enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. I love this post Loretta. How neat that they enlisted to help with the creation of this monument to the boy who never grows up.

    Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...............I've never seen it before and I thought it made a fantastic addition to the park. I'm not sure if you can see from the picture but the image of Wendy is made from tiny pieces of broken china all with different floral patterns on.

      Delete
  2. This is something magical. Why would anyone want to vandalize it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda, I have no idea why any one would want to vandalize this, but I don't understand why any one would vandalize anything. I think it's lovely, and made better by the fact that it wasn't a straight forward commission, it was made by the whole community.

      Delete
  3. What a perfect memorial to JM Barrie this is I really like it. I'm into mosaics and all the more so when they are peices of public art created by children and adults as a community memorial to the man who invented the name Wendy and Peter the flying boy flautist who would not grow up....and who can blame him?

    I have of course never seen it for myself although it did bring to my mind the Beatrix Potter Garden at Dunkeld which I think is not very far west of there. I stayed at Birnham Hotel in Macbeth country one night en route to Ullapool. I suppose it being about two major children's authors with memorials within a short distance of each other, although I suppose that's where the similarity stops

    If I'd known about this I'd have taken a bit of a detour on the way back to have a look at this lovely obelisk. Another little treasure revealed, thanks Loretta :-)

    ReplyDelete