| Winter Solstice in the Snow | for everyone |
I’ve
not been around here for the last couple of months. I don’t need to
bore you with the details of why; suffice to say it started with getting
totally engrossed in a work project, working away at home into the
early hours until the onset a flu virus that felt like the return of
bubonic plague, closely followed by a mini ice age which left me
housebound with no landline phone or internet and catastrophic plumbing
problems.

Well I’m still living in the midst of snow, ice and sub- zero temperatures but at least all the other little problems seem to be sorted. And moving on………………………………………………
Today
is two things, it’s the last day of term, school holidays are here
again and of course it’s the Winter Solstice. School closed at noon
today and about 30 of us headed into town for our Christmas lunch
accompanied by copious amounts of alcohol. I didn’t do the evening
drinking thing, I had lunch and a couple of drinks and headed home.
Feeling very festive I took the scenic rout home and I’m so very glad I
did. As I walked home the sun began to set behind me and the new moon
rose in front of me. WOW…. What a wonderful sight.
Recently
archaeological remains of an Iron Age settlement have been discovered
on a building site half way between my house and this park. As the moon
rose in front of me I couldn’t help looking around at this unspoilt,
snow covered landscape and thinking of the people who lived here 2500
years ago.
There
is something strangely comforting in the knowledge that 2500 years ago
families came together in this very spot and watched the new moon rise
over the horizon. The terrain and weather remain virtually unchanged
since that time. There was probably snow on the ground then just as
there is now. These ancient people who left no written records knew how
to weave plaid and striped fabric from wool and flax and how to make
clothes of woven cloth and animal hide to protect them from the freezing
cold.
They
knew how to work metal into the most intricate and delicate clasps and
broaches to decorate their clothes. They produced mirrors of burnished
metal decorated with patterns that remain familiar to us to day. I
watched the moon rise and thought of the people who lived here all those
years ago and felt very blessed by the unchanging, continuity of life.
The
sun set early today, about 3.45, by the time I reached the end of the
park it was too dark to take any more photos. Sometimes things just
happen, I didn’t plan on walking home via that rout, I didn’t plan on
walking home as the sun was setting, the last day of term wasn’t planned
to coincide with the winter solstice and no one planned on uncovering
Iron Age remains so close by. All of these things were little
coincidences that came together and gave me the most moving solstice
experiences I’ve ever had.

Well I’m still living in the midst of snow, ice and sub- zero temperatures but at least all the other little problems seem to be sorted. And moving on………………………………………………
Today
is two things, it’s the last day of term, school holidays are here
again and of course it’s the Winter Solstice. School closed at noon
today and about 30 of us headed into town for our Christmas lunch
accompanied by copious amounts of alcohol. I didn’t do the evening
drinking thing, I had lunch and a couple of drinks and headed home.
Feeling very festive I took the scenic rout home and I’m so very glad I
did. As I walked home the sun began to set behind me and the new moon
rose in front of me. WOW…. What a wonderful sight.
Recently
archaeological remains of an Iron Age settlement have been discovered
on a building site half way between my house and this park. As the moon
rose in front of me I couldn’t help looking around at this unspoilt,
snow covered landscape and thinking of the people who lived here 2500
years ago.
There
is something strangely comforting in the knowledge that 2500 years ago
families came together in this very spot and watched the new moon rise
over the horizon. The terrain and weather remain virtually unchanged
since that time. There was probably snow on the ground then just as
there is now. These ancient people who left no written records knew how
to weave plaid and striped fabric from wool and flax and how to make
clothes of woven cloth and animal hide to protect them from the freezing
cold.
They
knew how to work metal into the most intricate and delicate clasps and
broaches to decorate their clothes. They produced mirrors of burnished
metal decorated with patterns that remain familiar to us to day. I
watched the moon rise and thought of the people who lived here all those
years ago and felt very blessed by the unchanging, continuity of life.
The
sun set early today, about 3.45, by the time I reached the end of the
park it was too dark to take any more photos. Sometimes things just
happen, I didn’t plan on walking home via that rout, I didn’t plan on
walking home as the sun was setting, the last day of term wasn’t planned
to coincide with the winter solstice and no one planned on uncovering
Iron Age remains so close by. All of these things were little
coincidences that came together and gave me the most moving solstice
experiences I’ve ever had.
acousticeagle wrote on Dec 23, '10
That's
pretty exciting about the ice age site being discovered. I thought you
might well have been offline due to the weather conditions; the last
news report I watched on tv is that Aussies in Britain were waiting for
weather conditions to clear so they could get flights home for
Christmas.
Just past summer solstice here and so far it's been a mild start to summer. Lots of rain too, which is good for the garden. Great photos. |
hedgewitch9 wrote on Dec 22, '10
It's all synchronicity Loretta!
You have been missed!!!! So pleased to see you, to see your fabulous photographs... so sorry to hear about your difficulties ... wishing you and your hearth many bright blessings /|\ |
brendainmad wrote on Dec 22, '10
I've
encountered so many coincidences recently, or, at least I say they are.
I'm glad you're better. I can just imagine the plumbing problems you
had. I remember how the water in the pipes used to freeze when I was
little. We take things like running water for granted until we find
ourselves without them. Anyway, I'm glad you're back. I sure am looking
forward to have a few days rest. Enjoy yours
|
starfishred wrote on Dec 21, '10
love that they found the old village remains
to think how long ago that was gives you chills |
starfishred wrote on Dec 21, '10
oh loretta how wonderful --
glad all your horific problems are solved--we to had tons of snow and now for 4 days rain everything is just a huge puddle of mud and left over mountains of melting snow and mud ugh |

No comments:
Post a Comment