| Bah Humbug I hate Christmas....... | for everyone |
Why??.........no not because I’m a miserable sod who wants to ruin other peoples happiness;
But because of the constant news bulletins telling us how high street sales are either up or down compared to the same period last year, what the predictions for high street sales are over the Christmas period and what the economic implications are.
There are no words to describe my despair and loathing at the saturation level advertising for an endless stream of hideous, useless, florescent, plastic crap aimed at our children from every shop, street corner and TV channel. This seeps into our childrens minds and when the message is firmly embedded, the children plague their parents into buying things that gobble up energy and resources to produce and distribute; yet serve no useful purpose. These are things no one needs and no one can afford, they are bought by harassed parents terrified of the guilt, using the readily available Christmas credit thrust at them from all directions. Thus ensuring they are slaves to the system for another 12 months at least.
And it doesn’t stop with children; millions of young women will take out store cards they can’t afford to buy clothes that glitter and sparkle and will be worn only once. We will all buy food we don’t want and will never eat. This doesn't stop with children wanting 'toys' and young women wanting 'fashion', we are all part of this madness. Every one is stressed because they feel obligated to spend, spend, spend ……….regardless of what they actually want or need or can afford.
As if the insanity of that wasn’t enough, most of the trashy goods we buy for Christmas are made over seas in sweat shop conditions, for a wage that doesn’t even cover basic necessities, and with little regard for health and safety of the employees. This is a double whammy of the corrupt system we live in, it exploits the sweat shop employees, it deprives our own workers of jobs and it drives the consumer deeper and deeper into debt.
On Boxing Day we put out the packaging; packaging that cost us energy and resources to produce, energy and transport to collect and then gets dumped in land full sites that add to the pollution of our planet.
By the end of the week we will throw away more food that we usually buy in a week.
And why do we do all of this at Christmas…………..there is only one reason, so that the 99% stay poor and the 1% get richer. I have no idea why we are all so stupid.
I believe we are a truly decadent society, and the myth is that decadent societies fail.
36 Comments
Add a Comment
|
skeezicks1957 wrote on Nov 18, '11
I
have scaled my Christmases way down. But I still do too much. One
thing that I changed for the last couple of years is that in place of
any extended family gifts I make a charitable donation. I used to make
home made extended family gifts and I really don't think they
appreciated my efforts. (I am not overly talented) I found sugar to be
expensive too if I baked for gifts or made candy. So the donation
works for me. For my grandson I started a savings account and put money
in each Christmas and birthday. I do give him a small gift in addition
so he has something to open from me but I try to keep the gift under
$25. Just a couple ideas. Everyone has to do what is comfortable for
them.
|
skeezicks1957 wrote on Nov 18, '11
I
saw that headline about pizza being a vegetable. Sad isn't it? I know
my big weakness in sticking to my diet is pizza and it is terribly high
in calories. A high percentage of US children are obese. Just saying.
|
forgetmenot525 said
make a virtue out of being obnoxious, precocious and irritatingly superior to the adults. ![]()
You've
listed a number of my pet peeves but this is the biggest. Many
American shows are scripted so that the children are rude and this is
presented as funny. Not amusingly naughty like Jane and Michael Banks
in Mary Poppins, but obnoxious to the point of using words like "crap".
This is hilarious to kids, but does them and their families no favor.
Not to mention their teachers.
I don't need to have the children on kiddie TV to be perfect little saints, but the behavior modeling going on is making for some awfully rude and obnoxious kids. Yes, the pizza is proposed to be a vegetable due to the tomato sauce, not like the one we had tonight, which was brimming with green pepper, onions, mushrooms and dried tomatoes. |
forgetmenot525 wrote on Nov 17, '11
bennett1 said
nd just today, in the USA, they want to make pizza a vegetable on school lunch menus (because it has tomato sauce). ![]()
Pizza
a veggie ?? if that wasn't so sad it would be funny, although I have
to say we have made home made pizza with a home made bread base covered
in tomato concentrate, cheese and a variety of fresh veg ( mushrooms,
onions, peppers chili etc. I don't suppose this is the sort of pizza we
are talking about.
I have the 'pleasure' of Disney TV because my grandchildren watch it courtesy of Sky (in their homes not mine)..........in fact I'm pretty nauseated at the whole 'disney' thing. It seems full of programmes about American middle class two parent families, but hey that's ok because they have middle class two parent black families too, living the 'American Dream' in nice houses in nice streets, (guess its the one place the dream is alive and well). The children in these 'nice' homes and families have all the latest 'stuff' and make a virtue out of being obnoxious, precocious and irritatingly superior to the adults. Think I'll add Disney TV to my list of 'orrible stuff. |
forgetmenot525 wrote on Nov 17, '11
have
you SEEN the adverts on the disney TV channels??..............they
actually make me feel nauseous. They are full of the bright clean bouncy
and precocious little girls playing with the most ridiculous bits of
brightly coloured nothing........most of these 'toys' are so revolting
they actually LOOK toxic. Our children are being brain washed in the
'safety' of our own living rooms. And what about those adverts for the
'quick and easy loans', been refused a loan in the past?.........these
sick, sick companies are targeting poor harassed parents at Christmas
when they are most vulnerable and pushing these loans that have an
astronomical APR. This is just one example
http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/payday-loans-now-cover-a-whole-year--at-278-interest-6261300.html Companies are sold phone lists and target unsuspecting people in their own homes, bombarding them phone calls, once they have you on the phone they lie and entice you into allowing a salesperson into your home. These sales people are actually trained not to leave with out a sale and a signed contract.............and ALL of this is legal. the list is endless............. And yes.................you are right, thats without going into the horror of war we inflict on other countries. |
forgetmenot525 said
we can't pretend we're not part of it, we are all part of it, and its not enough just to opt out on a personal level, ![]()
Yes,
I agree. We can opt out for ourselves (of the commercialism) but we
need to find ways to move society away from the worship of the Golden
Calf - consumerism, waste, greed. In some ways this is what the Occupy
movement is all about (partly), because people are coming to see that to
a greater or lesser extent, no matter who is in office, plastic bags
still polute our oceans, empty calories seduce our children and shallow
TV programs spread a gospel urging us to buy buy buy....
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Nov 17, '11
bennett1 said
We
are indeed a decadent society, we could possibly redeem ourselves, but
will we. For is it a myth that decadent societies fail, or is it a
truth. ![]()
I
don't believe its myth...........I believe we are truly decadent and
decadence precedes the fall of great civilisations, part of the problem
in recognising decadence is that it hasn't always presented itself in
the same way. But not every one agrees with this, which is why I called
it a myth.
Lots of people here are saying how we can 'do' christmas in our own way without subscribing the the consumer madness, and on a personal level I think most of us do. But regardless of how we personally think of this sick society, we can't pretend we're not part of it, we are all part of it, and its not enough just to opt out on a personal level, the bottom line is ..... ''if you're not part of the solution.............. |
aaranaardvark wrote on Nov 17, '11
I really wish I'd never stopped sacrificing virgins to celebrate the solstice, you can never get that magic back can you?
Its all so commercialised nowadays, those drones they've got sacrifice virgins by the hundreds now, they incinerate whole classrooms full of them, its not like it was when I was a lad...but I suppose sacrifice is for young people really isn't it? |
brendainmad wrote on Nov 17, '11
Well,
I'm going to try to be frugal at Chrisrmas. My gifts to my friends will
be baked and homemade goods I make myself. I sure hate wasting food -
that's something I was taught by my parents not to do. We only got one
present eaxh at Christmas too or maybe just a stocking with fruit and
sweets.There are lots of things I'd like to have, but can't afford. Lord
knows I don't need more junk. We have sweat shops right here too and
yes they're Chinese and some of them are making clothes for the big
shops. That and all the waste are enough to make anyone a scrooge!
|
forgetmenot525 said
I believe we are a truly decadent society, and the myth is that decadent societies fail. ![]()
We
are indeed a decadent society, we could possibly redeem ourselves, but
will we. For is it a myth that decadent societies fail, or is it a
truth.
Each of us can make Christmas in his/her own way, but the surrounding din and chaos of commercialism is a distraction. If not for us, then for our children. |
catherinearmant wrote on Nov 16, '11, edited on Nov 18, '11
|
artprevails wrote on Nov 16, '11
Your ♥ is wonderful!!!
|
artprevails wrote on Nov 16, '11
I
love many aspects of Christmas. And I have my own way of celebrating
it. It doesn't involve getting sucked into sales but it does involve my
showing others that I care about them. I make or buy a gift that I
want to give them and delight when it delights them. I stay within my
abilities to pay for purchases. I enjoy Holiday music too. I love how
magic permeates society with the music and festivities. We need some
special days once in awhile...variety is the spice (nutmeg, cinnamon or
clove) of life!
|
greenwytch wrote on Nov 16, '11
YAY!
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Nov 16, '11
♥
|
greenwytch wrote on Nov 16, '11
you
need to have a big computer, not a laptop. to make the heart, you hit
the "alt" key and the 3 key, the one on the waaaay right little number
pad/'adding machine' thingy. ; ) XO
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Nov 16, '11
greenwytch said
as Ebenezer Scrooge said 'you keep Christmas in your way and i shall keep it in mine!' ![]()
I
do believe you are right..................BTW.............how do you
make those little hearts, I owe a few and can't remember how to make
them :-)
|
greenwytch wrote on Nov 16, '11
try
not to worry over or own what anyone else does with their holiday,
ma'am. as Ebenezer Scrooge said 'you keep Christmas in your way and i
shall keep it in mine!'
or something like that. ♥ |
forgetmenot525 wrote on Nov 16, '11
bennett1 said
The
answer, I think, is to create a family of people, related by blood or
not, nd create new traditions of love and healing. And to give gifts
from the heart; hand-made, home-made, and wrapped with love and things
that can be recycled. ![]()
I
think you are right.............and I'm sure that's what many of us do,
but it is impossible to ignore what goes on around us, I know we live
in a decadent corrupt society, its just more apparent at Christmas, it
brings out the worse in us.
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Nov 16, '11
my home isn't ( I hope).............I don't speak personally but as a member of a corrupt society
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Nov 16, '11
thank you................kinda thought you would agree.................
|

make a virtue out of being obnoxious, precocious and irritatingly superior to the adults. 

No comments:
Post a Comment