Monday, 20 August 2012

May23, 2010, Multiply, more on the spill

May 23, '10 2:11 PM
for loretta's contacts
Another good read about the oil spill and its effects on the wetlands
http://bpoilslick.blogspot.com/2010/05/getting-oil-out-of-wetlands-may-be.html

And this is a link to a video that explains why the 'clean up' isn't working.
BE WARNED THIS VIDEO USED VERY, VERY STRONG LANGUAGE
( the lady who made it is kinda angry)
http://skeezicks1957.multiply.com/video/item/261/Angry_Expert_On_Gulf_Oil_Spill_Clean_Up_-_Or_Lack_There_Of

12 Comments
Add a Comment
   

gileson wrote on May 23, '10, edited on May 23, '10
I looked at the vid again, and I get the impression that what she is saying is everything in the lexicon of the oil field workers begins and/or ends with an expletive with one or more thrown in toward the middle to show their creative nature. It appears that every tool and device that they use in their operation is prefaced by an expletive. I didn't get the impression that this was her just talking about the disaster but instead she was reading a script about the disaster, similar to an orator reading from Macbeth ... the anger and the choice of words may not be those of the orator, but are retained to give the listener an idea of what was common at the time.
That's my F***ing story and I'm F***ing sticking to it!

gileson wrote on May 23, '10
The language in the video simply shows the disdain that BP has for everything and everybody. That lack of respect comes from the very top because they have the power to stop it. I spent 4 years in the US Navy and the term "cuss like a sailor" was becoming antiquated.Starting in boot camp we learned that foul language would not be tolerated. If you had need to spout off something blue, you better hope nobody hears it but the ocean because you would be be in serious trouble if caught.
The idea was to act and speak as professionals. Have respect for your superiors, have respect for those you are trying to assist, have respect for each other.
They used to put up signs with a picture of guy all red in the face with the cartoon dialog balloon full of xyc*&^ like they did in the days when you didn't print the actual words and next to the photo would be picture of a matronly looking woman with her ear cocked to one side. The caption read, "Your Mother is Listening."

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 23, '10
bennett1 said
Some people have a way with cuss words. It is a gift. This lady has it.
thats what i thought................in fact despite the horrendous content..............i found her presentation quite humorous

bennett1 wrote on May 23, '10
I watched it. Seeing the birds made me sad, but the mismanagement enraged me. The language - well, I thought it was F888ing appropriate. I am not sure about the whole Obama thing - as far as I know, the spill is in international waters. I am do not think we have any jurisdiction over international waters. But I sure as F*** know I am angry.

Some people have a way with cuss words. It is a gift. This lady has it.

skeezicks1957 wrote on May 23, '10
Thanks for the link to the informative article Loretta. The vastness of the damage is just heartbreaking.

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 23, '10
bennett1 said
I don't know if I have the courage to look at the video. I'm not worried about the strong language, I just am so afraid of what I will see.
Its Ok bennett..............you should see it cos it's really informative, i would never have guessed how mismanaged the whole clean up thing is.

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 23, '10
gileson said
Now I wish he had gone to work for BP.
you and a couple of million others no doubt

brendainmad wrote on May 23, '10
Thanks for the link to the angry woman's video. I wasn't offended by her language because that didn't in any way affect the point of the video.

gileson wrote on May 23, '10, edited on May 23, '10
When I was lad I involuntarily was involved in numerous "do it yourself" projects with my Dad. I thought he was a tough task master at the time. The words "close enough" did not occur in this man's vocabulary. His motto was plan out your project in advance. Examine every possible scenario for what could or might go wrong and what contingencies to put into place if something did go wrong. He would say 'If you don't have the time, the energy or the money to do this right, then don't do it at all." My brothers and I learned early on that any "half assed" or sloppy work would mean tearing down what he already done and starting from the beginning. If we complained about that, he would shrug his shoulders and say, "Never time enough to do it right, plenty of time to do it over."
He lived to be 96 years old, never finished the 8th grade, spent over 50 years working for and consulting with the Farm Home Administration Division of the USDA, then after mandatory retirement at age 70 somehow managed to get rehired by HUD where he spent his last years designing and overseeing the construction of senior citizen housing.
Now I wish he had gone to work for BP.
It seems they never learned not to start vast projects with only half vast planning.

bennett1 wrote on May 23, '10
I skimmed the article. It made me sick. I left a comment.

Frank is right, this spill is in international waters. After the Valdez disaster, Exxon's defense (one of them) was that there was no data on water quality prior to the spill. So at least one outfit is taking samples of water to be able to prove that the oil/dispersants really did pollute. Isn't that silly?

veryfrank wrote on May 23, '10
( the lady who made it is kinda angry)
She's not alone by a long shot. I would like to see someone with authority put it all in perspective so the anger could be channeled where it belongs. Seems that anyone who is involved in the current activity catches the fallout and often they are there to help, the people trying to help didn't cause the problem. The US Government is catching hell for not taking charge and fixing everything, when in fact the law prescribes who does what.

The law prevents the government from just taking over. After the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska, Congress dictated that oil companies be responsible for dealing with major accidents — including paying for all cleanup — with oversight by federal agencies.

The Gulf of Mexico, where the spill is happening is in International waters, then Mexico, Cuba, etc. become involved.

Of course placing blame isn't going to solve this disaster. Hopefully though they will learn how BP got approval for the drilling without a working model of the recovery tools.

bennett1 wrote on May 23, '10
I don't know if I have the courage to look at the video. I'm not worried about the strong language, I just am so afraid of what I will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment