Wednesday 22 Aug; Ten days post surgery
I’m now ten days post surgery. This has
been a very strange ten days. When I left the hospital they told me how they
had put a tiny bubble of gas inside the retina. Its purpose was to hold every
thing in place and allow the eye to heal. They explained I wouldn’t be able to see
out of my right eye because I would be looking through the bubble. Initially I
would only be aware of light and dark and a few hazy shadows. 2-4 weeks after
surgery the bubble should break up and disburse and vision should gradually
return. I was told to hold my head upright, sleep sitting up and go home to
rest. I am allowed to use the computer and watch TV, providing I do it sitting
up in an upright position. No lifting, no returning to work and absolutely NO
GARDENING.
I’d rather not have eye surgery at all,
but if it HAD to happen, and if using the computer HAS to be one of the few
things I’m allowed to do, I suppose it couldn’t come at a better time.
I’ve missed the start of the new term
which really doesn’t bother me at all, my daughters partner was working away which
meant I could stay with her for a few days and once home there was lots to do
on the computer. I stayed with her for 5 days. The countryside around her house
is beautiful. I took a short walk every after noon and, even though I couldn’t
see exactly what I was looking at, I admired the beauty of the fields around
her house. I understood, probably for the first time, how awful it must be for
those who can’t see at all. I took photos, not that I could really see what I
was taking but I know those fields, I’ve taken lots of photos there before.
I came back here Saturday and have spent
the last 5 days catching up with every thing on the computer and saving all my
work from Multiply before it disappears. I’ve now saved every thing except the
art posts and in a very odd way, I’m even grateful for having the time to do
this. I’ve made a separate gardening
blog, which is something I’ve wanted to do for ages and I’ve joined a couple of
sites to keep in touch with people. I’m pleased I made the most of this time
confined to the house.
Now of course all I want to do is go out
in the garden. Most days I stay in PJ’s, and there’s a reason for that. If I
get dressed I’ll end up going outside, and if I go outside, I’ll end up pulling
weeds from the garden and worrying about my fruit that’s rotting on the
canes. I did quite well in the garden
this year and when I came home, I couldn’t help noticing all the things that
need doing out there. My next hospital appointment is next week, maybe after
that I’ll be allowed out into the garden.
I hope so, I’m missing my garden and
can’t wait to get back out there. I’m hoping to start seeing things again soon
but until then, at least I have my computer and my hundreds of photos. These
were all taken while I stayed with my daughter.
the one thing I am most pleased about is making my own garden blog
love these photos
ReplyDeleteThanks Brenda, I, happy to be learning my way around this site at last.
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful pictures of the countryside !! I hope your time recuperating goes by quickly so you can get back to your gardening. Oh and thanks for the "add". *smiles*
ReplyDeleteThanks..............nice to see you here, :-))
ReplyDeleteThanks for following my site. I'm also from Multiply and have seen you around there.
ReplyDelete