| Book review, Capitalism 3.0, Peter Barnes | for everyone |
PETER BARNES
CAPITALISM 3.0
I’ve
copied this video link from a friends page, the full version lasts 50
minutes and I listened to it while doing some housework. The guys voice
can get a bit tedious, but despite that I found myself being drawn into
his thinking. It doesn’t matter if you agree with him or not, this seems
to me like pretty original ‘ out of the box’ thinking. Not every one
will have the time for this, or the inclination, but for me, it was
worth it. The video of him explaining his book
http://fora.tv/2006/10/30/Capitalism_3_0
short review of the same book
http://www.capitalism3.com/home
Our current version of capitalism—the corporate, globalized version 2.0—is rapidly squandering our shared inheritances. Now, Peter Barnes offers a solution: protect the commons by giving it property rights and strong institutional managers.
Barnes shows how capitalism—like a computer—is run by an operating system. Our current operating system gives too much power to profit-maximizing corporations that devour our commons and distribute most of their profit to a sliver of the population. And government—which in theory should defend our commons—is all too often a tool of those very corporations.
Barnes proposes a revised operating system—Capitalism 3.0—that protects the commons while preserving the many strengths of capitalism as we know it. His major innovation is the commons trust—a market-based entity with the power to limit use of scarce commons, charge rent, and pay dividends to everyone.
Capitalism 3.0 offers a practical alternative to our current flawed economic system. It points the way to a future in which we can retain capitalism's virtues while mitigating its vices.
3 Comments
Add a Comment
|
acousticeagle wrote on Feb 6, '11
forgetmenot525 said
Our
current operating system gives too much power to profit-maximizing
corporations that devour our commons and distribute most of their profit
to a sliver of the population. ![]()
I
think books like these are worthwhile reading. Reclaiming the commons
begins, I believe, with the attitude of the individual and the more the
individual can resist going with the mirey flow of capitalist
self-interest, the more one can consider that the world could be changed
to a greater equity for all.
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 6, '11
skeezicks1957 said
I am glad you liked the program. I still have to finish watching it but liked what I have seen and heard so far. ![]()
thanks for the link, I thought it was really interesting.
|
skeezicks1957 wrote on Feb 6, '11
I am glad you liked the program. I still have to finish watching it but liked what I have seen and heard so far.
|

Our
current operating system gives too much power to profit-maximizing
corporations that devour our commons and distribute most of their profit
to a sliver of the population. 
No comments:
Post a Comment