| ow I spent the Summer Solstice 2011 | for everyone |
On Tuesday not only did I want to see the sun rise, I also wanted to see it set, so I stayed up and waited for sunset. Officially that was 10.05pm, but it stayed light much later than that, in fact it never actually gets dark at this time of year. I was awake, and I was looking out of my window, but by that time it was far too wet to go out into the garden. I saw the sun drop below the rooftops through the pouring rain.
While I sat indoors, watching the rain, waiting for the sun to set on the longest day, I started to draw the rough outline of my Green Man onto my specially chosen slice of wood.
And that was how I spent the solstice…………….
20 Comments
Add a Comment
|
brendainmad wrote on Jun 24, '11
What a wonderful way to spend it. Well, the rain could have cooperated a bit more. Can't wait to see your 'green man' finished.
|
esoterika713 wrote on Jun 23, '11
Very
nice Loretta. Although we brought the Solstice over here in Toronto at
Fort York. It was also Aboriginal Day here in Canada.
We got to see three native dancers, a women's drum group and the Meti quartet. It went from five pm until about nine-thirty pm. The weather was threatening rain near the end but we all got home from what was a beautiful day. Ingrid and I participated in some of the dancers. ![]() |
artprevails wrote on Jun 23, '11
I've returned to look again at your wonderful Green Man. I like how that came to be♥
|
veroniquemariquita wrote on Jun 23, '11
Very effective use of that little slab of wood. You will enjoy watching him while he watches over your garden.
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jun 23, '11
I
love dawn, I love the way it looks, i love the way it feels and i love
the way the light spreads over every thing. somehow I feel content and
ready to sleep if I can see the dawn and hear the birds first.........
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jun 23, '11
At
this time of year the official sunrise is sometime between 4.00 - 4.30
but you can see the dawn starting and the first birds start to sing any
time after 3.00. Official sunset is after 10.00 but again, it takes
until 11.00 - 11.30 or even midnight on a very clear night to reach its
darkest. The 'dark' part of the night is between midnight and about 3,
when the weather is good and the sky clear even during those hours there
is a light haze as you look north. One of the things i love about being
here is the shortness of the summer nights.
|
rabbitfriendhere wrote on Jun 23, '11
It sounds lovely even with the rain and I love your Green Man!
:) |
artprevails wrote on Jun 23, '11
*sigh*
This post is calm and lovely and makes me think of how making things
stand out in importance is just wonderful. I couldn't have thought of
anything better to do on this day.
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Jun 23, '11, edited on Jun 23, '11
thank
you ladies, glad you like the green Man Deb. Obviously its far from
finished but the thing i really like about him is that he is made from
'real' wood and its wood that I saw and chose..........I have to figure
out a way to fix him to the tree when he is finished
|
greenwytch wrote on Jun 23, '11
i LOVE your GreenMan.....and WTG, getting the dark plants! a perfect Solstice celebration, Loretta.
|

I love the light at dawn and dusk 
No comments:
Post a Comment