This
is where I was Saturday; I try to go most years but don’t always make
it. This year it was me, one daughter and one grandson. A grandson who
won a giant tiger and then had his face painted to match.
This year we were due for a rare treat, a spitfire fly past
but…………..our weather being what it was …….the Spitfire canceled on
account of poor visibility. A airplane that can’t fly in a little
of the Scottish Haar (Scottish word for sea mist) makes you realise how
much modern aviation depends on radar and modern technology. Must admit
I was very disappointed at not seeing the Spitfire but didn’t let it
marr my day. There is so much at the Seafront Spectacular it
would take forever to list it all, fun fair, stalls and attractions
just about sums it up. I always look out for the re-enactors, they are
usually fun to watch.
Amid
all the frivolity I was very pleased to see two of my favourite local
businesses represented, I always buy something from these stalls. For
lots of reasons, excellent products produced locally using local
ingredients, no cheap foreign labour involved, no exploitation of anyone
for anything, no huge profits to multinationals and of course, no air
freight which cuts the eco-footprint to almost nothing. These products
are made using traditional methods and run as a cottage industry. And;
in my book all of that adds up to perfection in consumerism. Oh sigh..
that every thing we buy could have such a pedigree.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
CAIRN
O'MOHR WINES; based in Perthshire and said to have a ‘certain jolly
taste to them and a strange effect that defies explanation’ or at least
that is what the tongue in cheek advertising stuff says. My own
particular favourite is Gooseberry mmmmmm mouth-wateringly good!! They
also do Strawberry, Raspberry, Bramble, Spring Oak, Elderberry, Autumn
Oak, Elderflower, Strawberry, Oak & Elder, Elderflower, Shrubbery
and more. Cairn O’Mohr award winning
These are all Scottish fruit wines made from berries, flowers and leaves that grow around
about them in Perthshire or actually on the farm itself. It’s nothing
fancy, just good, fresh ingredients grown and fermented in the
traditional way. Established and owned by an environmentally conscious
couple who travelled the world before deciding to bring this wonderful
wine to our tables, gardens, beaches, and lots of other places.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
BaronyCrafts, all handmade
Barony
Crafts are small cottage industry who manufacture, retaile and supplly
handcrafted soaps, toiletries & hand poured soy candles. They are
based in rural Perthshire, not far from Cairn O’Mohr Wines, obviously a
good area for this sort of thing.
They use locally grown produce to create hand made soaps, candles and
skin products. Many of the herbs they use are actually grown by
themselves in their own cottage garden. 
The gift boxes are handmade at Barony. It’s a young couple (they honeymooned near the North Pole!!) who own this!!
------------------------------------------------------
Think my daughter thinks it's time to go home!
Think my daughter thinks it's time to go home!
Another day done.
what
a wonderful day, to share with your family... I loved your pictures and
your grandson is just too cute, kids just love face painting.... the
wines sound amazing.... I love local fairs and exhibits.... you are
right about supporting the locals, I loved your blog....
|
brendainmad wrote on Jul 27, '08
Sigh
= Me too! Natural, homemade, homegrown products are the best.
Congratulations to that tiger who won a tiger! I can see that everybody
had a great time.
|





No comments:
Post a Comment