How to lay a table, 1966 style !!Another little gem carelessly tossed aside by the H.E. department and salvaged from obscurity by me an' my trusty little scanner. This little book makes me quite sad.

I
remember these lessons from my grandmother, how many children can do
this properly these days I wonder?? These days it seems to be microwave
meals on a tray in front of the TV.
The pictures all enlarge if you click on them
The pictures all enlarge if you click on them








acousticeagle wrote on May 5, '09
1966!
This little girl could've been me, similar coloured hair, too. It was
one of my jobs, at that age. Everyone would know when I laid the table
because I would put the fork on the right side, instead of the left.
This is because I've always used the fork in my right hand and knife in
my left and I've never changed. I learned to place the cutlery at the
family the correct way.
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on May 5, '09
Glad
you liked the book, there is just one more small book like this that I
will scan soon to share. The thing I like best about this one is the
carving set, the big pronged fork and the knife. It is exactly the same
as the set my father used to carve the meat with every sunday. There was
also a round poker shaped tool to match that was used to sharpen the
knife. The blades were stainless steel and the handles look like
yellowed bone. I have that set in my kitchen draw now.
Also..............I found it interesting to see that the side plate goes to the left and the glass goes to the right, exactly as I ermember. |
forgetmenot525 wrote on May 5, '09
oh
that brings back lovely memories, my daughter has a mole between the
base of her ring finger and middle finger, that is how she always knew
the difference.
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on May 5, '09
That
is interestinmg 'cos I'm pretty sure I was taught to put the knife
blade facing in, like it is here, maybe its a regional difference.
|
brendainmad wrote on May 5, '09
What
a nice lesson! I'd miss my conventional oven more than I would my
microwave. However, I'd only lay a table like this for company.
|
starfishred wrote on May 5, '09
Nice
those where good old days when we were taught all the amenities of how
to do these things sort of sad so much of this isn't done anymore
In learning these things it tought us about life to- |
octoberwitch wrote on May 4, '09
I
remember learning this too, I would have been 10 in 1966. Im trying to
think how I learned....and also I believe we put the knife blade out.
|
Americans might have place mats, but larger and usually textile. In my experience. 
No comments:
Post a Comment