| The public Option; at last an explanation. | for everyone |
At
last I've found an explicit definition of exactly what the ‘’public
option’’ is. In all this debate etc this is the first time I've seen
anything that bothers to explain what it's all about. A simple
explanation is what I've been asking about for ages.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXFHXqrrJ6g&feature=player_embedded
12 Comments
Add a Comment
|
starfishred wrote on Sep 12, '09
he did a good job explaining
as far as the coment above I am all for it being in medicine and seeing the terrible state it is in we either put this option in or we all fall- and like Loretta I have had military medicine for over 30yrs. and befor that Canadian so what I pray tell is wrong with it it has served me well and my family- |
hadenough1 wrote on Sep 12, '09
Well it's missing parts (they often like to skip that). --but we need something badly.
It really shouldn't be that hard to have a good health system What people want from their health insurance now is 3 things Choice of Doctors ( still not included in the lower plans which some can only afford-more like HMO--and we know the complaints on that t! !!!!!-- I had a quack or two in my life. I wouldn't want another. If you can afford it or can keep the one you have that you like--no problem--but if you can't..... the lower plans are missing some good key ingredients--that I would hate to be without.... Aid is almost a better option than. And I hate to see that.) Good Coverage and service to cover all cost needed for your health needs pre and after(including drugs) and ease of paperwork And cost (and it shouldn't cost that much-) That is everyone's wish. And other countries have given that on a national scale. That is more why so much debate. Is one side sides right or wrong? A little of both for each I don't believe it's communist or anything like that. Lot's of Myths out there. It's nice ALL pre-existing conditions will now be accepted By all (a big-big move forward) If we have to do it this way---How about making it "ALL" insurances give choice too. It can be done (won't make insurances happy or many Doctors if we make it no insurance policy can be turned away by any Doctor) Could we do better?--very much so.. Very much. But--we are still catering to the insurance companies more. And nit setting cost limits on doctors. That is a fact. I wonder how many read all of this over 1000 page proposal? Even in Washington? I laid money down - very-few I am a Conservationist--I don't care about parties. I just like to see things done right. Doesn't see many do that. I don't care who you like. I was in England when a friend got hurt. She went to hospital--no papers, no cost and got all the care she needed for a few months. Her total cost for med--$15 dollars (our money) for the few months she had trouble. She got great care too. Followed up with her own Doctor who she had good repore with. Nice--very nice. It won't bankrupt a country neither (as many like to say-another myth) Many have had National health for a long long time- (over 50 years)-they still have it. Money problems come from many areas. And that will be one of ours too--here-- greedy hands still in and more to come. It isn't we have more people--as more are paying--it's the greed. And we still haven't addressed that here. What will keep these plans from going up and the better ones more unaffordable?--Sure you still can have the lesser-pfft How about one plan for all--including Government? Why not? What would they want than--Choice? Service/Coverage and Cost. The same as all would like. The 3 Cs. Why not make that a part of ALL plans I work with handicap--I see how their families hurt because of medical. Very sad--some can't get hep where they need it. I am glad we are talking more about it. I also see the why the debate. We could do better. You have to look at it all. Let's hope for the best. Even if this is all we get. We need something--let's hope in the time we have made it the best possible for the good of all.. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Public opinion--I don't set much store on that. Not at all Popular opinion may be influenced by unseen forces For example, the Sophists were a prominent group of Greek teachers in the fifth century B.C.E. They taught that standards of right and wrong were determined by popular opinion. Popular opinion is an unreliable guide. For example, if you had lived in a society where the majority believed that child sacrifices were acceptable, as some societies in the past have thought, would that have made the practice right? What if you had been born into a society that viewed cannibalism as a virtuous act? Would that have meant that eating human flesh was not really wrong? What is you thought it was okay to kill a women for being raped or not submitting to customs made out by others--some still do that? How about mob action are they always right now and in the past? People use to kill people even for their color. The popularity of a practice does not make it right. Of course, it is one thing to know what is right; it is quite another to have the moral strength to do what is right. To give your best. Maybe someday I will see that in government-we can always hope |
brendainmad wrote on Sep 12, '09
Yes, this is very well explained.
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Sep 12, '09
seanymph3 said
Maybe
you can afford but many still wont be able to. And if they dont they
will be fined for not taking the govt. ins. So if they cant afford it ,
they get fined? Doesnt make sense to me. ![]()
the
reason the government want every one to take out insurance is to take
full advantage of economies of scale. This only works if every one is
covered , the more people who are covered the easier it is to bring down
prices for every one, this is just simple supply and demand. There is
also the principles on which successful insurance is based. Insurance is
a risk spreading business, the further the risk is spread, the better
it is for every one. At the moment there are many youngish healthy
people who chose not to insure, partly because insurance is at the
moment very expensive, and partly because it is this group of people who
present the least risk and feel they have the least incentive to
insure. But it is these people whose contributions help the most to
spread the risk for the rest of those insured. Therefore there are two
reasons the government want every one insured, firstly so that every one
has access to health cover and secondly to spread the risk as wide as
possible and utilise economies of scale to bring down prices.
|
bennett1 said
Respectfully,
seanymph, he is not in a rush. We are taxed less than in many
countries. The wealthy are taxed less proportionately than working
class people. The cost of health care premiums are a hidden tax. Our
economy is being pulled back from the brink. The Bush tax cuts cost
more than the public option would. If we repeal the Bush tax cuts on
the wealthy, and eliminate waste, we can afford it. ![]()
Maybe
you can afford but many still wont be able to. And if they dont they
will be fined for not taking the govt. ins. So if they cant afford it ,
they get fined? Doesnt make sense to me.
|
forgetmenot525 wrote on Sep 12, '09
From
what this guy says there will be no public spending. The money will
come from those who contribute to the policy. He is saying that this
will work because; if the public policy is implemented throughout the
whole of the US there will be economies of scale which will enable the
cost to the individual to be kept low. He is also saying that if the
public policy is implemented through out the US there will be enough
bargaining power on the suppliers to force down the price of treatment.
If this happens the benefits will trickle through to the other insurance
companies who will be forced to make similar deals with the suppliers
which will result in every one benefiting from lower prices not just
those people covered by the public policy..................at least that
is how i understand what he is saying. If you are worried about the
economy this seems to be something that could actually give a boost to
the economy because more people will be covered by health insurance
which means more people will receive treatment which means somewhere
along the line more cash will be generated
|
So if they cant afford it , they get fined? Doesnt make sense to me. 
No comments:
Post a Comment